Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2020 10:10:19(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all,

My boss is asking for a specific accident stat that I'm unsure how to calculate, so I'm wondering if anyone here can help? My MD wants to know what our RIDDOR rate is in comparison to the average RIDDOR for the manufacturing industry is; our SIC code is 23 I believe (as we work in glass manufacturing; processing, polishing, edging, laminating etc). Is there a way to take our stats and compare to that specific SIC? Last year we had 2 RIDDOR accidents for over 7 day incapacity.

I'm not sure this can be even calculated, but I thought I would ask the question in case it can be?

Thanks.

Svick1984  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2020 10:27:51(UTC)
Svick1984

PS - 44 accidents overall (2 of those which were RIDDORs).

Thanks.

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2020 10:28:24(UTC)
RayRapp

Hi,

This question has been asked many times on these forums and for different industries - it is the holy grail. The truth is, there are very few reliable comparisons even in the same industry sector. Comparing like for like between organisations is very problematic because there are so many variables. So, I suggest don't even bother.  

Edited by user 12 March 2020 10:29:02(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:01:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/adhoc-analysis/injury-frequency-rates.pdf

You need actual working hours to make sensible comparison and a source of data.

Unfortunately even in the same company different locations can skew the figures - we had a higher reported rate than our sister company which on investigation we found their management excluded anyone they could get back through the gate on light duties.

At another global employer the first issue was a difference in reporting calculations.

Then you need to compare like for like - S.I.C. are normally five digits - 23 starts with glass manufacture but also covers cement, concrete, ceramics, bricks, tiles, stone masonry, mortars, abrassives.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:01:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/adhoc-analysis/injury-frequency-rates.pdf

You need actual working hours to make sensible comparison and a source of data.

Unfortunately even in the same company different locations can skew the figures - we had a higher reported rate than our sister company which on investigation we found their management excluded anyone they could get back through the gate on light duties.

At another global employer the first issue was a difference in reporting calculations.

Then you need to compare like for like - S.I.C. are normally five digits - 23 starts with glass manufacture but also covers cement, concrete, ceramics, bricks, tiles, stone masonry, mortars, abrassives.

Svick1984  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:37:41(UTC)
Svick1984

Thanks for the reply.

In this stat info published by the HSE 'Key statistics in the Manufacturing sector in Great Britain, 2019' (www.hse.gov.uk%2Fstatistics%2Findustry%2Fmanufacturing.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3YMu0NjQZbgyDqkP1BzqGm)">https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjDmqKr65ToAhUpQxUIHeg6A6UQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hse.gov.uk%2Fstatistics%2Findustry%2Fmanufacturing.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3YMu0NjQZbgyDqkP1BzqGm) am I correct in thinking that, on page 11, where it talks about 'comparing rates of non-fatal injuries in manufacturing' the numbers and percentages displayed for each sub-sector of manufacturing, relates to over 7 day incapacities (i.e. non-metallic 2,430 (2/4%) refers to the number of accidents within that sub-sector that were classified as over 7 day incapacities)? Is that correct? If so, just wondering if I can use that info to gain a potential meaningful value?

Thanks again.

Svick1984  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2020 11:41:23(UTC)
Svick1984

Whoops, that didn't post correctly and I don't know how to edit it....