Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vanfleet  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2020 14:52:31(UTC)
Vanfleet

We are moving onto a system of site engineers carrying out site inspections etc.... via an app on their phones. My question is relating to the legality of toolbox talks being carried out the same way i.e. a supervisor carrying out a toolbox talk from the notes on the app then typing in who was present.

As the attendees at the toolbox talk are not signing that they have attended, will this be acceptable to the H&S auditors and would it stand up from a legal point of view?

TIA.

craigroberts76  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2020 15:12:15(UTC)
craigroberts76

as far as im away toolbox talks arent a legality, but are looked as transfering of information.  Toolbox talks that are digital do not allow for the worker to ask questions or clarification which is their purpose.  Some see them as a tide of information thrown at workers and sign the paper, they should allow an open dialogue.  We do ours via conference call and the paperwork is signed digitally on their phones

Neil P  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2020 15:39:25(UTC)
Neil P

Hi,

If your Engineers require CSCS cards, there is an app available that the Supervisor can use to scan the cards of those present. I think tthe app uses NFC and if I recall correctly, it doesnt work on iPhones but is OK on Android.

If not, maybe he can have those present sign an attendee log and then take a photo as proof of attendance.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2020 15:45:31(UTC)
Roundtuit

An auditor will evaluate your procedures and that you are doing what you have written.

If your system changes then update your procedures to reflect such changes.

The "legal" requirement is to provide information, instruction & training - there is no regulation specifying if or how this should be recorded.

BS 5750 has a lot to answer for in this respect - lots of consultants generating reams of procedures and forms that all needed signing - now the ISO systems are more mature a lot of companies have dumped the door stops and the destruction of forests.

It really doesn't matter if you get their "x" on a piece of paper they can, and will, plead ignorance in the event of a claim.

My current employer is doing a lot more training on-line problem is the record only shows an i.p. address and at best the equipment it does not prove I was the one sat at the keyboard!

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2020 15:45:31(UTC)
Roundtuit

An auditor will evaluate your procedures and that you are doing what you have written.

If your system changes then update your procedures to reflect such changes.

The "legal" requirement is to provide information, instruction & training - there is no regulation specifying if or how this should be recorded.

BS 5750 has a lot to answer for in this respect - lots of consultants generating reams of procedures and forms that all needed signing - now the ISO systems are more mature a lot of companies have dumped the door stops and the destruction of forests.

It really doesn't matter if you get their "x" on a piece of paper they can, and will, plead ignorance in the event of a claim.

My current employer is doing a lot more training on-line problem is the record only shows an i.p. address and at best the equipment it does not prove I was the one sat at the keyboard!

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2020 15:55:17(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I always thought of a tool-box talk as just that: a supervisor(not the H&S person) opens up the tool box and does a short talk about a piece of kit which relates exactly to what they are about to do. This make it fresh and relevant. They also have a chance to feedback then and there. Once we bring in e-learning it’s just another H&S led initiative, with limited employee engagement.

Vanfleet  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2020 16:46:08(UTC)
Vanfleet

The main reason we are doing it as suggested above is to stop the priting off of reams of paper, sending them to site, getting the back and filing them plus it easier for the guys on site aswell. 

The toolbox talk is still discussed face to face with the site workers it's just the signatures that won't be obtained.

Just wondered if anybody else did it this way. 

IanDakin  
#8 Posted : 13 March 2020 07:56:57(UTC)
IanDakin

Many sub-contractors may not have a large team and a supervisor on site, but still need toolbox talks and updates. These can be delivered electronocally onto employees phones, with the ability to confirm they have read and will apply or to ask questions. 
Are employees more likley to ask questions at a face  to face session than electronically?