Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dylscoop  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2020 10:58:42(UTC)
dylscoop

Hi All, 

Looking some info on when to tell staff they should not come into work if they how symptoms of COVID-19? 

Basically if an employee lives in a house with 5 or more individuals and they show symptoms and self isolate for 7 days If they then are due back into work and another individual starts to show symtoms, should they self isolate for 4 days or are they able to come into work? 

Also consider if they were never officially diagnosed with COVID-19 

FYI - My organisation cannot closed are we deliver lifesaving medicines to the NHS in the fight against COVID-19. 

The virus from PHE does not help with this issue

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/876221/COVID19_Guidance_Cleaning.pdf

Thanks for any advice avalalble

Dylan 

Kate  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2020 11:03:50(UTC)
Kate

This link has got a graphic that demonstrates when isolation should start and finish for individuals in a household where someone has symptoms and others do or not develop symptoms.  It made it a lot clearer to me as I found some of the guidance elsewhere confusing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729

Kim Hedges  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2020 14:31:44(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Yeah, it's my understanding that if a household of 5 goes down with syptoms, then yes, one at a time, it could be that you'll lose them for 10 weeks.  That's why (think it was the 20th March it was discussed) the person not sick, should vacate the premises and stay in a hotel instead, effectively distancing themselves from the outbreak. 

Kate  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2020 14:41:09(UTC)
Kate

That's not what the graphic I posted a link to says :-)

Kate  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2020 14:48:04(UTC)
Kate

Moving to a hotel when your housemate has symptoms contravenes household isolation. It has potential to spread the infection to the hotel staff (should you find a hotel that is still open).