Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grader  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2020 15:41:03(UTC)
grader

Hello,

My question is on the use of masks to protect agaisnt COVID-19

The World Health Organisation (WHO) say that you do not need to wear a mask unless:

a) you have symptoms

b) you are dealing with someone with symptoms

My employees are asking me if they should wear a mask - and up until recently I have said that they do not but... 

If an employee was to encounter an area with other people, where it is unknown if covid-19 syptoms exist - is it not good that they are wearing a protective mask - in prevention of exposure to their viral outputs?

If FFP3 masks protect against water-droplets (aerosol) - are these suitable to wear where social-distacning cannot be achieved (which is commonplace in my industry)

I want to continue to advise my employees that they do not need a mask, but it also seems that they may have a case for requesting we supply them...

Any advice on this subject would be welcome 

KR / Grader

matelot1965  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2020 16:18:05(UTC)
matelot1965

As has been said many times masks have not been recommended by WHO. Bear in mind this virus is only airborne briefly as it exits the body and falls onto surfaces which then become contaminated. The mask could then become contaminated for many days providing an even greater risk to the user. Our hierarchy of control is as follows : -

2m social distancing

Perspex screens or strip curtains if 2m distance is not reasonably practicable

Face visors if Perspex screens or strip curtains not reasonably practicable.

face masks only for the infected employee if we identify an infected employee on site 

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2020 20:24:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

What is it your employees do? Where will they contact virus sufferers? Delivery drivers aren't wearing masks as they are distancing so what are you forcing them to do that results in exposure? Did they ask for masks prior to the last flu season?
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2020 20:24:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

What is it your employees do? Where will they contact virus sufferers? Delivery drivers aren't wearing masks as they are distancing so what are you forcing them to do that results in exposure? Did they ask for masks prior to the last flu season?