Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kim Hedges  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2020 00:35:07(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I came across a weird thing happening in a very large national company that will remain nameless.  Orders from up high, all vehicles that transport 2 people plus, will be screened!

So works vans, are to have a perspex screen fitted around the driving position. 

The theory goes to stop the spread of the C19 from spreading between the 2 workers. 

I laughed when I heard it, but I'm told it is true, so what's your impression?  

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2020 09:02:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The driver would need to be hermitically sealed from the passengers and   each area would need their own air supply. They should probably have HEPA filters on the air exhaust.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 08/04/2020(UTC)
RVThompson  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2020 09:09:59(UTC)
RVThompson

A biological safety cabinet on wheels!

Does Jeremy Clarkson know?

thanks 1 user thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2020 09:52:37(UTC)
chris.packham

Presumably they will also be putting screens up around each workstation in the offices and in the workplace, each with their own filtered air supply.

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
chris42  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2020 10:20:44(UTC)
chris42

Wouldn’t this be a safety issue should there be a significant crash. Not sure it would be legal to modify a vehicle in such a way.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
biker1  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2020 10:28:24(UTC)
biker1

If this story is true, then it is truly laughable. I just cannot see how such a system would work, and would probably increase the normal risks in driving. Vision problems would inevitably result, making the vehicle truly dangerous on the road.

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2020 11:04:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Vehicles are modified all the time - usually though the screen is between the front driver seat and rear passenger compartment of a taxi not between the two front seats.

These will be some feat of design to give both driver and passenger adquate space to move, apply seat belts, operate handbrake and gear lever - in the style of Steptoe and Son one can chose the radio channel whilst the other gets to select the volume and if the radio is on.

With a lot of vehicles being leased rather than owned outright you then have the issue of cabin damage for the mounting of such a device.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 08/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 08/04/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 08 April 2020 11:04:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Vehicles are modified all the time - usually though the screen is between the front driver seat and rear passenger compartment of a taxi not between the two front seats.

These will be some feat of design to give both driver and passenger adquate space to move, apply seat belts, operate handbrake and gear lever - in the style of Steptoe and Son one can chose the radio channel whilst the other gets to select the volume and if the radio is on.

With a lot of vehicles being leased rather than owned outright you then have the issue of cabin damage for the mounting of such a device.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 08/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 08/04/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#9 Posted : 08 April 2020 20:07:04(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Update on this story, I heard on the BBC news that London Transport will be fitting perspex screens to all their buses.

I agree with what everyone has already posted above, thanks guys you really help keep me sane.