Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jennielouises  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2020 11:14:26(UTC)
jennielouises

We are planning an insurtech business and I am starting to plan what we need to do to get back into the offices (when we are allowed by the government). I read some guidance that said we should update our H&S policy to cover Covid-19. As a non-IOSH member I have listed what I think I would need to include in this. Is there anything I have missed?

• Our legal duty (social distancing etc.)
  • How we are practicing social distancing
  • RIDDOR reporting of Covid-19
  • Temperature checking and testing
  • How we would react if there was a case of Covid-19 in the workplace
  • Considerations for using public transport
  • Considerations of those who don't feel able to return to the office (vulnerable people and anxiety reasons)
  • PPE
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2020 11:42:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Any link to this guidance to update policy?

Not sure where you consider social distancing to be a "legal" duty - a link to the specific UK regulation would be greatly appreciated.

RIDDOR reporting - please see the various threads it is not applicable to an office environment.

Temperature checking / testing - is this an effective stand alone control? This is procedure rather than policy.

Public transport would only apply for business journies (train, plane, etc.) here you also need to consider company vehicles after all the driver will need comfort breaks.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2020 11:42:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Any link to this guidance to update policy?

Not sure where you consider social distancing to be a "legal" duty - a link to the specific UK regulation would be greatly appreciated.

RIDDOR reporting - please see the various threads it is not applicable to an office environment.

Temperature checking / testing - is this an effective stand alone control? This is procedure rather than policy.

Public transport would only apply for business journies (train, plane, etc.) here you also need to consider company vehicles after all the driver will need comfort breaks.

chris42  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2020 11:50:30(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (Wales) Regulations 2020

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2020 11:56:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Thanks Chris but I asked about the specific UK regulation not about the devolved assemblies.

For the UK social distancing takes the form of government guideline.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2020 11:56:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Thanks Chris but I asked about the specific UK regulation not about the devolved assemblies.

For the UK social distancing takes the form of government guideline.

nic168  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2020 12:01:06(UTC)
nic168

Hi, there is some guidance on the HSE website as well as other threads here that may help. At the moment i am looking at reviewing and updating procedures rather than the overarching Safety policy.

hopeful  
#8 Posted : 28 April 2020 12:55:46(UTC)
hopeful

I am looking at risk assessments initially rather than different procedure changes which will come later if necessary.

I would also consider how you ensure that the office is safe to reoccupy - have statutry inspections, maintenance requirments been missed, what about water safety management activities, pest control.

What about first aid provision - this cannot be done with social distancing so in some of our locations we are reviewing activities to limit the higher risk ones where possible.

Do you need to close off desks, what about welfare facilities and cleaning.

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 28 April 2020 13:32:09(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What does your current overarching H&S policy say?

It should be a one page document which says something like:

1. We will be legal complaint
  2. We will support and encourage all our employees to comply with the legal requirements, including, providing them with information, instruction, training and supervision
  3. There be a systematic approach to managing Health and Safety
  4. We shall base all of our policies and procedures  on a process of risk assessment   that will be suitable and sufficient
  5. We will involve all employees at all levels and work with their representatives
  6. We will record  all accidents and  investigate the more significant ones with the aim of learning the lessons and feeding back those lessons into the Health and Safety management system
  7. We will monitor the effectiveness of the H&S system by carrying out audit, inspections, surveys etc. We will share any findings with the appropriate stakeholders.
  8. We will SFARP ensure the Health and Safety of non-employees who might be affected by our work activities.
  9. We will plan for foreseeable emergencies, including both an immediate response and longer term business continuity.

There is no mention of COVID-19 or of floods, locusts or that quiet bloke from HR losing it and going crazy with an axe. The overall policy should cover all eventualities. Did the person who suggested that you rewrite the policy offer to do this for you in exchange for filthy lucre? Are they that well known H&S consultancy, Ye Olde Rope Dealers LLP?

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
RVThompson on 28/04/2020(UTC), Kate on 29/04/2020(UTC), Brownk on 27/11/2020(UTC)