Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2020 10:57:59(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I hope everyone is well. Quick query; is there any specific guidance that tells me how often load testing needs doing on castor wheels and stillages? I only ask because a customer wants confirmation that a particular undertrolley we use can take up to a certain capacity; we've provided info about stillages to be underslung, but not about the castor wheels (they are rated to 500kg per wheel but there is no test certificate). So, is there a specific timeframe of how often they should be tested? Thanks.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2020 20:39:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Underslung stillages are not bearing and are actually part of the load so why would they be subject to testing? The castors are either functional or broken - any test would be of necessity a destructive nature, the capacity is for design/calculation not certification purposes. TBH what has your equipment status got to do with the customer?
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 14/05/2020(UTC), Wailes900134 on 14/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2020 20:39:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Underslung stillages are not bearing and are actually part of the load so why would they be subject to testing? The castors are either functional or broken - any test would be of necessity a destructive nature, the capacity is for design/calculation not certification purposes. TBH what has your equipment status got to do with the customer?
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 14/05/2020(UTC), Wailes900134 on 14/05/2020(UTC)
kennyabrehart  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2020 19:21:17(UTC)
kennyabrehart

I would imagine that the customer wants to know the information requested as the stillages/trolleys could be on their site and moved around by their equipment. However, i would agree that the stillages would be part of the load, being underslung, and the castors would be subject to a normal periodic inspection as defined in a risk assessment for the use of the trolleys. A simple explanation to the customer and copy of the risk assessment should satisfy a reasonable customer.

Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2020 14:34:28(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Contact your suppliers of the stillages, maybe they can offer some clue, 'Manufacturers Guidlines'.