Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
taps  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2020 13:53:07(UTC)
taps

I've just taken up a new post and have been asked to give a 10min presentation to the directors on how I am going to build on and improve the current H&S management system.

Any pointers would be really appreciated, pretty confident on giving the talk just want the content to be concise

Regards

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2020 14:09:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

Any parameters to work with e.g. sector, industry, size of organisation, certification held/desired/required. Beware of negative comment about anything current someone with interest/pride in what is already available may be at that presentation.
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2020 14:09:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

Any parameters to work with e.g. sector, industry, size of organisation, certification held/desired/required. Beware of negative comment about anything current someone with interest/pride in what is already available may be at that presentation.
Wailes900134  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2020 14:24:20(UTC)
Wailes900134

Perhaps consider some focus on what the “built upon and improved” system will add value to the business and to them in their roles. Avoid criticism of the existing situation (any fool can take pot shots at things) but rather position yourself as being part of the solution. Clarify for them what you need them to do (day to day behaviours) for the tools of safety to add most value going forward (as if they start off believing that your fresh MS will deliver success without coherent aligned behaviours on their part you’ll have a long and rocky road ahead... Good luck!
taps  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2020 14:24:47(UTC)
taps

Thanks for your prompt reply Roundtuit, its in the educational field and I'm pretty sure that my predecessor has done a sterling job, I was going to go down the lines of commitment and leadership from myself, getting the staff and students to buy in (paricularly in light of the current situation), I have used a system where I previously work where I gave all staff a card, signed by the MD, giving them the right to stop work if it cannot be carried out safely and to assist in putting it right. (I want to show that health and safety is not a them and us campaign but a team event. I was goint to use this as my last slide.

Regards

taps  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2020 14:43:06(UTC)
taps

Again Wailes900134, thanks for the reply, I want to show that they picked the right person for the job, I have lots of H&S experience and qualifications,just want to show that health and safety is best done when everyone accepts that they have responsibilities also. I am a peoples type of person and would like to show that I can lead the way and bring everyone with me, if that makes sense.

Regards

Acorns  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2020 11:16:26(UTC)
Acorns

What is the directors / boards latest views, announcements, actions.  Was a big project recently started, so it may be re-enforcing that rathter than creatuing a new goal/ system so looking for stability from the past so as to be ready to move forward and there is no doubt, your educational activity is going to be subject of significant change and on-going changes into the future, so stabilising the current stuff and being adaptable to the future.  If H&S professionals are starting to get weary (one perspectiove) of repeated changes because of CV19, then there is no doubt other staff and students will be as well.  Keeping them informed and current will be a challenge.  Ooops, and the 10 mins is up!!

chris.packham  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2020 14:49:01(UTC)
chris.packham

How well do you already know the systems and effectiveness that exists in your new workplace? I would have thought that this knowledge is essential if you are to suggest new measures and improvements. My response to the requenst would have been that as soon as I am completely familiar with what is in place and with the actual working environment, work practices, risk assessments and management strategies I will happily let you have my thoughts on how we can build on what you already have where this is needed.