Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Peter Younger  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2020 10:43:19(UTC)
Peter Younger

Greeetings All,

If this has already been debated I apologise. What opinions are there about the potential spread of COVID19 by air con and air handling systems, 

Would inceased air movement, heighten the risk of spreading the infection?

Many thanks

Yossarian  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:06:41(UTC)
Yossarian

I speak as a lay person who has been researching the same question so I have no special knowledge either of air con engineering or as a virologist.

However the main concern in what I have read is that the very conditions which make the air comfortable for humans do not actually help with the denaturing of the virus.

So the risk remains that if there is an asymptomatic carrier in the office shedding a high viral load and located by an air intake or outlet unit, then air containing this virus will be recirculated around the building and infect others who may be further than 2m away.

This is why the suggestion is for natural ventilation such as open windows has been made, as the air from outside is likely to be dry and subject to solar uv rays, both of which are factors thoiught to deactivate and denature the virus.

I look forward to hearing from subject experts who may be able to confirm or clarify.

Edited by user 21 May 2020 11:07:22(UTC)  | Reason: clarity of response

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:13:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Yossarian on 21/05/2020(UTC), Yossarian on 21/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:13:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Yossarian on 21/05/2020(UTC), Yossarian on 21/05/2020(UTC)
Yossarian  
#5 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:22:26(UTC)
Yossarian

Cheers Roundtuit, I'd missed those posts in the general business.

Interestingly CIBSE Guidance has been published (or at least become more searched) since I last looked