Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sam Ellacott  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2020 11:26:55(UTC)
Sam Ellacott

Hi All,

My sales team are pushing to be able to visit clients face to face again. 

My initial reaction was that this is a no-no in the current climate and that we should be using alternative technology such as video conferencing to keep contact to a minimum and reduce the risk of infection.

My question is this, am I right? Or is there an argument for continuing face to face meetings in situations that could use other methods, and if so what?

John Murray  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2020 11:34:18(UTC)
John Murray

Rather depends if the people at the other end want to meet a person who has been wandering around the country....l

Like the guy who turned-up at my place to do the annual gas check, in ordinary [dirty] work clothes and boots, and got told to come back in a [new] one-piece paper coverall, with a facemask [unvented], gloves and boot covers [as is on his work sheet when visiting a place with a highly-vulnerable resident]

thanks 1 user thanked John Murray for this useful post.
Sam Ellacott on 03/06/2020(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2020 11:34:42(UTC)
CptBeaky

We wouldn't accept any sales reps on site at the moment. Whilst we have adequate controls in place, we are limited to "essential" visitors only, and then only if the meeting can't be held using alternative measures.

I would assume your sales team will face obstructions from the customer end too.

First rule of risk control is eliminate. If they can do the job without these meetings then they must.

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Sam Ellacott on 03/06/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 03/06/2020(UTC)
Sam Ellacott  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2020 11:55:46(UTC)
Sam Ellacott

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was expecting. CptBeaky, your response pretty much sums up my initial reaction to the question.  Just wanted a sense check to ensure I hadn't missed anything!

Edited by user 03 June 2020 11:57:47(UTC)  | Reason: Reworded a sentence

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2020 13:30:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

You need the sales team to list and justify why they deem it necessary to travel especially whilst there are still travel restrictions.

Welfare facilities for travellers are few and far between with the ususal suspects not offering drive through toilet breaks. This should already be included in some form of travel policy risk assessment.

Sales teams in some businesses are also the technical/service interface so it is possible they will be "essential vistors" for some customers even in the current situation particularly where materials or equipment have had minimal or no use for the last few months e.g. legionella treatments.

Also be very aware your technological response for remote meetings may not exist or be permitted at the customer end.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 03/06/2020(UTC), Sam Ellacott on 04/06/2020(UTC), Wailes900134 on 03/06/2020(UTC), Sam Ellacott on 04/06/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2020 13:30:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

You need the sales team to list and justify why they deem it necessary to travel especially whilst there are still travel restrictions.

Welfare facilities for travellers are few and far between with the ususal suspects not offering drive through toilet breaks. This should already be included in some form of travel policy risk assessment.

Sales teams in some businesses are also the technical/service interface so it is possible they will be "essential vistors" for some customers even in the current situation particularly where materials or equipment have had minimal or no use for the last few months e.g. legionella treatments.

Also be very aware your technological response for remote meetings may not exist or be permitted at the customer end.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 03/06/2020(UTC), Sam Ellacott on 04/06/2020(UTC), Wailes900134 on 03/06/2020(UTC), Sam Ellacott on 04/06/2020(UTC)
achrn  
#7 Posted : 03 June 2020 15:31:10(UTC)
achrn

Our procedures say no sales visits to our premises, so you wouldn't (or at least, shouldn't) be allowed in if you came to us.

However, some marketing people think they and their face-to-face meetings are 'essential' - the only significant nearly-breach of our offices shutdown was the marketing department deciding it need to have a face-to-face meeting for the whole team.  As it happens, I got wind of it and the MD put a stop to it (I think - maybe they all just colluded to conceal it from me).

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
Sam Ellacott on 04/06/2020(UTC)