Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigroberts76  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2020 13:10:34(UTC)
craigroberts76

need a rant, so sorry from the outset.

I was off on furlough for 10 weeks and as the companies H&S manager I'm not sure why (I am an overhead i guess).  However.... I'm back in and catching up on covid stuff, posting PPE etc.

Monday i had a conversation with 4 workers to catch up, and just by chance i clocked that they were travelling in 2 vehicles (3 have their own and 1 doesnt have his own).  When quizzed they had been scheduled to drive 5hrs and only took 2 vehicles.  I raised this with the scheduling team and managers to be told that it was ok, they had the windows open probably and hopefully wore PPE.... ridiculous, 

so I've asked for them to let me know why they only took 2 out of the 3 vans and why the sub manager who went never picked this up as an issue.  I'm not getting flack from higher management for engaging with the submanager over this and that its causing unneccessary friction.

To be told by someone "well we needed to get the money in" just infurates me and isnt seen as an issue (he never passed nebosh exams btw).

Am i wrong?

thanks 1 user thanked craigroberts76 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 04/06/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2020 13:29:12(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Perhaps the people in question are forming a self-contained ‘pod’ which live and eat together. Or it could be that the management does not give a …. I’d of thought that H&S person would be the last person to furlough. What other ‘overheads’ did they furlough?

craigroberts76  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2020 13:35:17(UTC)
craigroberts76

only people I think they kept on were the ops manager and a scheduler in the office and 6-12 workers.  I'm fuming at the response tbh, I know no PPE was either sent or if it was wasnt recorded (evidence they had it), fleet wasnt in (and still isnt, I'm supposed to be covering that too) so god knows what vehicle issues have been reported that I havent come across yet.  1 manager is also nebosh trained, but  I dont think they've been in the office tbh, just working from home.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2020 14:00:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you were furloughed for ten weeks who wrote the RA if it exists?

Why would drivers need to wear PPE in the vehicle? A five hour drive in an FFP3 would be unbearable.

Who drives five hours (likely on a motorway or major dual carriageway) with the windows open? That is before the weather just changed to rain.

Why send three vehicles when two will do?

One of the positives of Covid are lower emissions due to less vehicles on the road.

One of the negatives of Covid is all the unecessary waste because people assume everyone needs to be in mask, gloves, disposable coveralls at all times especially at work.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 04/06/2020(UTC), N Hancock on 08/06/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 04/06/2020(UTC), N Hancock on 08/06/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2020 14:00:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why would drivers need to wear PPE in the vehicle? A five hour drive in an FFP3 would be unbearable.

Who drives five hours (likely on a motorway or major dual carriageway) with the windows open? That is before the weather just changed to rain.

One of the positives of Covid are lower emissions due to less vehicles on the road.

One of the negatives of Covid is all the unecessary waste because people assume everyone needs to be in mask, gloves, disposable coveralls at all times especially at work.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 04/06/2020(UTC), N Hancock on 08/06/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 04/06/2020(UTC), N Hancock on 08/06/2020(UTC)
craigroberts76  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2020 15:25:52(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Exactly, RA were being done by someone else who is also qualified, but not there role.  My issue with taking 2 vans and not 3 or 4 is that they are forcing staff to van share when we're being told not to unless there is no option (grey area, flakey at best government advice.)

we have saved tonnes of Co2 from not driving, but whats the negative impact going to be with all the wasted and disposed of PPE? plastic masks for single use, nitrile gloves being dumped at supermarket gloves etc.

Kim Hedges  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2020 16:34:58(UTC)
Kim Hedges

This post is why I started that Open Blog post, because this is the sort of exasperation that is becoming more apparent.