Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MTBSafety  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2020 14:45:23(UTC)
MTBSafety

Just looking to see how other organisations arrangements work for washing/laundering hi vis clothing - pros and cons for; In house laundry 3rd party laundry Employee laundered (if possible value of allowance identified on payslip) Other arrangement TIA
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2020 15:35:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

As Hi-Vis clothing is likely contaminated from work I would not consider it appropriate to send home for domestic washing in the same machine as the rest of the households clothing (particularly if it is the local laundrette).

Paying someone for laundry is a business expense so you could be unecessarily generating P11d tax documents - in the past HMRC agreed a non-expensed tax off set for washing workwear I think it is @ £20 p.a.added to the employees personal allowance.

With Hi-Vis having a limited number of wash cycles before its efficacy diminishes it would be better as an in-house / 3rd party arrangement so that the number of washes can be counted.

Most workwear in current & previous employments is processed through a 3rd party as a rental.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2020 15:35:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

As Hi-Vis clothing is likely contaminated from work I would not consider it appropriate to send home for domestic washing in the same machine as the rest of the households clothing (particularly if it is the local laundrette).

Paying someone for laundry is a business expense so you could be unecessarily generating P11d tax documents - in the past HMRC agreed a non-expensed tax off set for washing workwear I think it is @ £20 p.a.added to the employees personal allowance.

With Hi-Vis having a limited number of wash cycles before its efficacy diminishes it would be better as an in-house / 3rd party arrangement so that the number of washes can be counted.

Most workwear in current & previous employments is processed through a 3rd party as a rental.