Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aud  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2020 17:01:17(UTC)
aud

Well I did, although my connection was ropy and I missed bits. There was a very interesting side discussion going on too.

For those who did not see it, the premise was that we ought to be adapting to providing 'shorter, sharper, smarter' learning content, using remote delivery methods, rather than delivering long, overly full training courses to groups which give everyone a nice warm feeling of 'done it' - with biscuits.

Be interested in anyone else's thoughts.

thanks 1 user thanked aud for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 03/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2020 19:49:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

Missed this session (as with others)  due to its presentation media however the concept is very sound based in the tool box talks mentality - short sharp focused message (15 - 20 minutes maximum) rather than three hours plus of power point purgatory. Those adept in construction are well aware of this approach given the difficulty of getting a site full of hairy =--- buiders to pay attention unless they are sipping a strong white with two.

Just beware there is a creeping tendency to pick and post items readily available from internet providers which may address 80 - 90% of your needs but also be totally irrelevant to your particular business.

By example I have just sat through an IT security session wholly irrelevant to the way our business works because we do not have a reception desk in most premises (closed door policy) and where we do (head office) there are no access swipe cards for either employees or vistors (miss-appropriation of which was the central point of a 20 minute video session addressed to several hundred employees!). The IT director presumes it was worth the cost (pity they have never seen anything beyond head office).

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 03/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 03/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2020 19:49:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

Missed this session (as with others)  due to its presentation media however the concept is very sound based in the tool box talks mentality - short sharp focused message (15 - 20 minutes maximum) rather than three hours plus of power point purgatory. Those adept in construction are well aware of this approach given the difficulty of getting a site full of hairy =--- buiders to pay attention unless they are sipping a strong white with two.

Just beware there is a creeping tendency to pick and post items readily available from internet providers which may address 80 - 90% of your needs but also be totally irrelevant to your particular business.

By example I have just sat through an IT security session wholly irrelevant to the way our business works because we do not have a reception desk in most premises (closed door policy) and where we do (head office) there are no access swipe cards for either employees or vistors (miss-appropriation of which was the central point of a 20 minute video session addressed to several hundred employees!). The IT director presumes it was worth the cost (pity they have never seen anything beyond head office).

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 03/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 03/07/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2020 07:31:46(UTC)
Kate

For me the session was lacking in examples of what this might look like.  The only specific example I remember was sending an automated hourly reminder to wash your hands, which to me is intrusive.  

The side discussion was mainly about whether legislation should be included in training content, with some people apparently still insisting on slides setting out the regulations about the topic.  I agreed with the speaker who felt this was a waste of time.

So, it didn't really do it for me.

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2020 16:17:50(UTC)
peter gotch

I think there is a place for microlearning but not to be rolled out to subject matter that requires a debate and perhaps some case study work to enable discussion of issues that arise.

The trend towards more and more microlearning appears to be often driven by ill-considered cost-cutting that is likely to end up in tears.

Kate  
#6 Posted : 21 July 2020 06:22:27(UTC)
Kate

I'm not pleased by the spam I've been receiving since from the consultancy that was involved in the webinar.  I didn't realise I was signing up to that.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 21/07/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 21 July 2020 08:59:36(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Kate have you contacted the firm about this?

Kate  
#8 Posted : 21 July 2020 10:04:19(UTC)
Kate

No - since I probably signed up to some terms and conditions that I didn't read.

I blocked them.

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2020 10:22:52(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Surprised any sort of respectable company would stoop so low but then they use the word “agile” in a gratuitous manner.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 21/07/2020(UTC)