Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
t.boyle@n-sea.com  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2020 09:30:38(UTC)
t.boyle@n-sea.com

Does anyone have a template for using an articulating boom lift as one form of rescue device for recovering personnel from a lower level such as waterline work area?

Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

Hexentric  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2020 10:32:19(UTC)
Hexentric

Sorry I don't have a template but am curious as to whether you are talking about rescue, as in removing from imminent danger, or recovery as e.g. a casualty who has recieved first aid but cannot use the usual means of egress? (I'm ex-rope access and planning for such events had to be integral to our work systems.)

HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2020 12:45:20(UTC)
HSSnail

I admit im not an expert in these things - and its been some years since i did any training on them - but it sounds like you want the boom lower than the "power unit" I thought that was agains all the SWP for any MEWP as it effects the centre of gravity?

Acorns  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2020 06:35:11(UTC)
Acorns

Brian, partly agree about your comment about the CP being used be told the power unit, but don't forget those multi articulated ones such as those used on a bridge that articulates for work under the bridge.  For the OP, if they choose to use a Cp, then make sure it's suitable for the task 

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2020 07:41:45(UTC)
HSSnail

Thanks Acorns - said i was not an expert - just googled those - dont think i have ever seen one before, every days a learning day!

stevedm  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2020 09:09:33(UTC)
stevedm

Originally Posted by: t.boyle@n-sea.com Go to Quoted Post

Does anyone have a template for using an articulating boom lift as one form of rescue device for recovering personnel from a lower level such as waterline work area?

Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

Rescue where life is at risk/ time defined it is generally accepted that all means to affect the recovery are acceptable...we have used land rover winches and people secureed in digger buckets before now....however, the application needs to be assessed at the time to ensure the rescuers are safe...the fire service have an operational risk assessment process that covers rescue...it gives a process for it you won't necessarily get a specific...