Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
A Kurdziel  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2020 08:55:09(UTC)
A Kurdziel

There are some  occupational psychologists who might be able to help.

stevedm  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2020 08:57:00(UTC)
stevedm

gerry...it is a mental health issue and some forms of CBT have helped individuals I have referred in the past...it is a form of negativity anxiety bias...I would take this post down if you can it really shouldn't be on a public forum.. :)

johnc  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2020 09:48:50(UTC)
johnc

Might sound simple but has anyone tried just saying thank you to him at the end of each shift. I was taught this many years ago and found it really does pay off.
Hexentric  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2020 10:09:22(UTC)
Hexentric

I disagree regarding taking the post down. With the prominence of mental health as an issue in the work place I think that this is the right forum to discuss such issues, the subjects anonymity is not being compromised. 

It brings to mind a case years ago where an operative made a point of telling me he was on some medication for a non work related condition. The doctor had confirmed there were no relevant side effects which could prevent him working, so I was curious as to why he made a point of  divulging such personal information. A few days later he was found at his work place, broken down in tears, having forgotten to take the anti-depressants he was also dependent upon. Nobody knew about his condition. As it turned out there were external factors that were badly affecting him. I recognised now that the conversation about the other medication may have been a cry for help. 

stevedm  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2020 10:30:54(UTC)
stevedm

agree in principle, however this is not an OH forum or one for professional Psychologists.... if you have this condition and you come across a public post which you know to be about you it will just re-emphasize those fears and anxieties...it is a fine line to walk...the answer here is referral to OHP ....it is a dangerous step to try and interfere with something like this when you are not qualified to deal with it you can do more harm than good...walk a mile in those shoes..

biker1  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2020 10:54:22(UTC)
biker1

A tricky issue, and one that people will have different opinions on. I disagree that this is not an OH forum - surely this should be part of OSH, and for too long mental health issues have been swept under the carpet, although it is arguable as to whether an open forum rather than a member's forum is the best place to discuss such issues.

I would observe that the employee in question may have a mental health issue, or it may simply be concerns caused by previous experience. Has this employee been sacked/made redundant in the past, especially from a job he thought secure? I have been made redundant twice in my working life, both times just before Christmas, so even now, many years later, I still get twitchy on the run up to Christmas. Bad experiences can have lasting effects. Might be an issue to explore with him.

Edited by user 07 July 2020 10:56:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stevedm  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2020 11:10:37(UTC)
stevedm

as with all public forums you can twist and post what you like...and yes perhaps asking for the post to be taken down was maybe an extreme step...I have since PM Gerry with links...however, why don't you champion mental health issues rather than throwing rocks...I added a mental health post on here only read by a handfull of forum members with no comments...my concern, and it has been borne out by IOSH members post on this forum, is that some of you don't know enough about medical confidentiality...not saying the OP in particluar ...but a long debate with some on here will do more harm than good...and no this isn't a forum for OH practictioners and Occupational Psychologists you are meddling in a world that actually most of say doesn't help you!...

peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2020 10:35:57(UTC)
peter gotch

In my opinion this appears to have been a valid Q and I think that it is a little unfortunate that the original posting has been removed.

I think the chance of the person feeling the pressure actually seeing someone else's posting here about them was about as likely as winning the Lottery, unless they were actually named in the posting.

P

biker1  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2020 11:39:04(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post

as with all public forums you can twist and post what you like...and yes perhaps asking for the post to be taken down was maybe an extreme step...I have since PM Gerry with links...however, why don't you champion mental health issues rather than throwing rocks...I added a mental health post on here only read by a handfull of forum members with no comments...my concern, and it has been borne out by IOSH members post on this forum, is that some of you don't know enough about medical confidentiality...not saying the OP in particluar ...but a long debate with some on here will do more harm than good...and no this isn't a forum for OH practictioners and Occupational Psychologists you are meddling in a world that actually most of say doesn't help you!...

Not sure who you are referring to as throwing rocks, especially in view of what you say later in your post. If you have posted something on mental health and received no response, that is unfortunate. OH practitioners and occupational psychologists are surely part of the picture in OSH, and there are times when many of us will need to work with them. Most of us say doesn't help? That's a bold assertion, do you have any evidence to support this?

It is a fact of life that managers and OSH professionals will sometimes need to deal with mental health issues or concerns; the key is knowing when you have reached the limit of your competence and need to refer on to experts in this field, or seek their advice. A common issue with any field of OSH.

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2020 12:42:03(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I think the issue with a H&S forum is that in many organisations, if it not operational, nor finance nor HR it must be H&S

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
nic168 on 10/07/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#11 Posted : 08 July 2020 13:32:35(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

I think the issue with a H&S forum is that in many organisations, if it not operational, nor finance nor HR it must be H&S

I’m not sure I would entirely exclude operational, finance or HR, questions coming to the H&S person. I have not long ago been asked a HR question on data protection (during my lunch time!). The fact that the HR person went on the training and I didn’t, seems to have escaped the person who sits next to the HR person! I have suggested the HR person does something!

Chris