Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
deansal51  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2020 06:03:02(UTC)
deansal51

Hi all, new to this so apoligies if this has been asked before, is there any safe way of grass cutting between warehouses where there is a steep bank/slope can't get a tractor there (generators in the way) if standing on top of bank and holding strimmer one slip and potentially major issue.

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2020 07:37:46(UTC)
HSSnail

It will all depend on local features - 1st question, why do you need to cut it? (eliminate the hazard) can it be cut from bottom of slope, is it a situation where you can use Ropes and Harnesses (Work positioning), Can tempory access be put in place (scaffolding platforms). Can robot cutters bu used (but it sound a bit steep for that)

Unfortuantly there is no one size fits all in these situations.

chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2020 08:29:50(UTC)
chris.packham

I once saw them cutting the grass around the keep at Windsor Castle using a Flymo on a rope. Seemed to work well.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2020 08:44:17(UTC)
Kate

Why not let it become a wildlife space?

thanks 3 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 08/07/2020(UTC), N Hancock on 08/07/2020(UTC), Alan Haynes on 08/07/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2020 08:58:19(UTC)
chris42

You seem to have a horizontal part at the top of the bank from your description. Perhaps you could put a running line along the edge of the top building and then the operative use a harness and short lanyard to prevent them going over the edge. It may be worth it as it will be an ongoing problem. I have also seen a Flymo which is light used on a rope, however this will leave the cut grass and will this now create a fire hazard between the two buildings when it dries. However leaving it may also do the same. Perhaps there is one with a grass collection box.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to slab or concrete the bank, could you replace the grass with the plants you get for living roofs on buildings as they only grow so high. You may not stop nature though, so the odd weed may make it in.

Or someone will have to lay down on the bank head upwards with a small scissors, that way they just slide down feet first. The government is creating a min wage job creating scheme they pay for the first 6 months!

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Kate on 08/07/2020(UTC)
N Hancock  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2020 09:04:36(UTC)
N Hancock

On one site I covered such as slope was cut by hand held strimmer.  Have you developed a mowing plan for the site?  If the slope is very steep as Kate says leave it become a wildlife meadow and then its only cut twice a year.

Other alternatives are to contract it out.  They will have the experience to do it correctly.

Yossarian  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2020 13:07:01(UTC)
Yossarian

I know I can occasionally be tongue in cheek, but this post is not intended to be. Sheep. Yes you heard right, or goats. In a semi rural area with sufficient space we have used these for maintenance of sloped verges away from roadsides in some of our parks.

Obviously it's not a solution for an industrial park or a busy A road, but in these places our Streetscene team have trialled and subsequently purchased a remote control lawnmower with a wide wheelbase similar to the product here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSBLP5a-MMk

Whilst they may not be solutions appropriate to the slope you had in mind, I hope this helps you start thinking outside the box.

HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2020 14:56:07(UTC)
HSSnail

Saw goats being used in Norway to keep green roofs short!

Bigmac1  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2020 15:17:48(UTC)
Bigmac1

You can get remote controlled lawn mowers, where the operator is out of harms way.

Ian Bell2  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2020 18:40:19(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Another advantage of sheep - you can have one with mint sauce and roast potatoes (200*C for 30mins for every 500g) once they have finished mowing the grass.

Sorry couldn't resist

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 08 July 2020 19:18:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

Over cooked - I prefer my sheep still bleating and the cattle still mooing aka "Bleu".

Goat on the other hand should be curried then served with fried plantain, dumplins, rice and peas.

Now I need a trip to the shops.

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 08 July 2020 19:18:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

Over cooked - I prefer my sheep still bleating and the cattle still mooing aka "Bleu".

Goat on the other hand should be curried then served with fried plantain, dumplins, rice and peas.

Now I need a trip to the shops.

Martin Gray  
#13 Posted : 09 July 2020 10:22:43(UTC)
Martin Gray

We had a similar situation on a canal restoration project with a steep bank between trees leadig to a 5 foot drop into the canal.  We took some advice for and arboriculture group as we risk assessed and deviced a safe system of work whereby the strimmer operators wore fall arrest harnesses and were tethered to a restraint line. 

Because they were wearing a fall arrest harness they could not wear the strimmer harness, so we trained the operators to get a safe stance and balanced position before starting their strimmer and to only operate down the slope, with all rope tails safely above them on the slope.  Before they moved to another position the strimmer was turned off and they moved down to their next position.

It is safe and it is working.  If the operator should slip then the strimmer will go in the canal over the 5ft drop and not the operator.

Hope this assists.