Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hardworkingdude  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2020 08:51:34(UTC)
hardworkingdude

Hi all, just wondering if we introduced masks (potentially visors aswell) would this mitigate the neccessity of having screens between desks? Or is this down to individual risk assessments

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2020 09:08:46(UTC)
HSSnail

Have you ever tried wearing a mask/ face covering or face shield for a whole day? I have great admiration for our health care workers who have been trying to do this for months. The use of face coverings is not (yet) in the guidance as an option for offices, where the 2m seperation cannot be achieved, and if you are thinking about homemade ones or disposable ones they would not last a whole day. Remember the Hierarchy of Controls when looking to reduce risk. PPE is at the bottom – I would not replace screens with mask’s/face coverings on current guidance.

There is a statement on the BBC news web site about-face coverings in Office, which is interesting to read.

thanks 7 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
RVThompson on 15/07/2020(UTC), chris42 on 15/07/2020(UTC), Roundtuit on 15/07/2020(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 15/07/2020(UTC), stevedm on 16/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 21/07/2020(UTC)
chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2020 09:44:45(UTC)
chris.packham

Two weeks ago I spent three and one half days as an in-patient. The procedure was that masks were worn the whole time except for eating and drinking. We were even expected to sleep in them!  The only time I was asked to remove the mask was when on the table in the operating room. Of course the personnel present there were all fully kitted out with PPE.  Personally I did not find this a problem although I can understand how others might. 

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2020 10:58:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

I appreciate some wish to go above and beyond government guidance (do not use PPE as Covid control in most work settings). We also have the start of the hokey-kokey about face coverings in offices so goodness knows which route that will take.

However as a mask is a piece of PPE tested as either RPE or medical device you open a whole can of worms (verified sourcing, face fit, storage, disposal...). Then you have to consider employee discomfort not only wearing such equipment all day but from glare and eye strain trying to read screens through the bent plastic of a visor.

As to face coverings there are no real specifications or standards being described merely that it should cover the mouth and nose - so a brown paper bag with slits cut for eye holes would be suitable.

Chris as our resident skin expert have you been noting the issues being reported amongst health care workers from extensive mask wearing?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RVThompson on 15/07/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 15/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2020 10:58:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

I appreciate some wish to go above and beyond government guidance (do not use PPE as Covid control in most work settings). We also have the start of the hokey-kokey about face coverings in offices so goodness knows which route that will take.

However as a mask is a piece of PPE tested as either RPE or medical device you open a whole can of worms (verified sourcing, face fit, storage, disposal...). Then you have to consider employee discomfort not only wearing such equipment all day but from glare and eye strain trying to read screens through the bent plastic of a visor.

As to face coverings there are no real specifications or standards being described merely that it should cover the mouth and nose - so a brown paper bag with slits cut for eye holes would be suitable.

Chris as our resident skin expert have you been noting the issues being reported amongst health care workers from extensive mask wearing?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RVThompson on 15/07/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 15/07/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2020 16:57:31(UTC)
stevedm

hopeful  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2020 19:56:23(UTC)
hopeful

We are working to avoid this (unless the govt make it compulsory which wouldnt surprise me!) using social distancing or back to back working in all areas. It is reducing our capacity dramatically in offices and making some locations a real challenge but we dont want the expense of screens and masks would not be popular and not everyone can wear one. Fortunately the majority of our work can be done at home so the management challenge is a 'rota' to ensure that everyone has a desk if they come into the office.

craigroberts76  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2020 09:00:08(UTC)
craigroberts76

one issue with screens is that it creates pockets where contaminated air "may" linger rather than being dispursed with air flow and reduce the potency. 

Visors dont really offer any protection other than if you're likely to be coughed on within a couple of meters (i.e. checkout staff etc), but for offices I dont see they offer any value.  I've noticed people who do wear them in town seem to have over confidence in their protection ability.

thanks 1 user thanked craigroberts76 for this useful post.
nic168 on 21/07/2020(UTC)
Zyggy  
#9 Posted : 20 July 2020 18:28:48(UTC)
Zyggy

Going off on a slight tangent, does anybody know if a face shield will be an acceptable alternative to a face covering when going into shops from the 25th July? I know that they are acceptable in Scotland, but not sure about in England. As Roundtuit states, it seems that anything covering the mouth & nose will be acceptable, but is there anything more definitive that I can refer to? My reason for asking is that I know several people who have a fear of wearing masks & although this is one of the exemptions, how do you actually prove it if challenged, plus all the dirty looks!!
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 20 July 2020 18:47:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

A visor is acceptable under English face covering for shops rules - I am one of those with issues having my nose and mouth covered (very bad childhood experience with general anaesthetic) so have stocked up on my Chinese standard anti-fog visors as sported by the local supermarket staff.

Guidance from the Office for Product Safety and Standards:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/899806/Guidance-for-businesses-and-individuals-face-coverings-version-3.pdf

Edited by user 20 July 2020 18:54:00(UTC)  | Reason: OPSS link

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Zyggy on 21/07/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 21/07/2020(UTC), Zyggy on 21/07/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 21/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 20 July 2020 18:47:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

A visor is acceptable under English face covering for shops rules - I am one of those with issues having my nose and mouth covered (very bad childhood experience with general anaesthetic) so have stocked up on my Chinese standard anti-fog visors as sported by the local supermarket staff.

Guidance from the Office for Product Safety and Standards:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/899806/Guidance-for-businesses-and-individuals-face-coverings-version-3.pdf

Edited by user 20 July 2020 18:54:00(UTC)  | Reason: OPSS link

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Zyggy on 21/07/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 21/07/2020(UTC), Zyggy on 21/07/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 21/07/2020(UTC)
RVThompson  
#12 Posted : 21 July 2020 06:20:39(UTC)
RVThompson

"I am one of those with issues having my nose and mouth covered (very bad childhood experience with general anaesthetic)"

I remember those days all too clearly; sat in the dentist chair waiting for the mask, the awful smell, and the hallucinations.

Probably why I have issues with masks today.

Kate  
#13 Posted : 21 July 2020 06:32:52(UTC)
Kate

I imagine that having a health reason (whether mental or respiratory or skin health) not to wear a face covering could expose you to challenge and abuse and be a further cause of anxiety in places where the expectation is to wear them, even though there is meant to be an exemption in such cases.

HSSnail  
#14 Posted : 21 July 2020 07:43:30(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

I imagine that having a health reason (whether mental or respiratory or skin health) not to wear a face covering could expose you to challenge and abuse and be a further cause of anxiety in places where the expectation is to wear them, even though there is meant to be an exemption in such cases.

https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/hidden-disabilities-face-covering.html

Are producing an exemption card to try and help those that cannot wear a face covering extra anxiety from peoples response.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
RVThompson on 21/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 21/07/2020(UTC)
chris.packham  
#15 Posted : 21 July 2020 07:44:51(UTC)
chris.packham

In response to the question directed at me, yes, I have had a number of requests for guidance on this. However, this is only for those masks that are PPE, i.e. protect the wearer, where there is a tight fit between mask and facial skin. The main issue here is that the occlusion inhibits the continuous water loss through the skin (TEWL - trans-epidermal water loss) which cannot evaporate plus the accumulation of moisture within inside the tight fitting mask. This creates hypehydration similar to that from wearing occlusive gloves and a consequent irritant response in skin cells. Where respiratory protection is required for long periods the only real answer to this is to avoid the masks and go for a powered hood. There are ones designed specifically for healthcare and I know of some hospitals that have adopted these. If anyone needs more PM me with an e-mail address.

thanks 2 users thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 21/07/2020(UTC), nic168 on 21/07/2020(UTC)
Zyggy  
#16 Posted : 22 July 2020 06:14:55(UTC)
Zyggy

Following my recent post at #9, I contacted Morrison's Head Office to ascertain what their stance is & received the following response yesterday: "Visors may be worn but they must cover both your nose and your face, if it doesn't then a face covering should be worn as well underneath" As previously stated by others, wearing face coverings can be very upsetting for many people & may also trigger panic attacks.
Bigmac1  
#17 Posted : 23 July 2020 07:48:15(UTC)
Bigmac1

Why dont you try using the hierachy

Work from home, sounds like an office environment so this is totally possible.

2m distancing between desk

rotate home working with office working if its down to space

Before you even consider screens and masks, you should not be thinking of going straight to the bottom of any hierachy.

Plan your work, plan your workplace

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 23/07/2020(UTC)
Mick72  
#18 Posted : 23 July 2020 11:08:55(UTC)
Mick72

A Kurdziel  
#19 Posted : 23 July 2020 11:40:32(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I am waiting for the first person to die while wearing one of these outfits. You wear these over the top of your normal clothing and a self-contained breathing apparatus as it is airtight.