Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
achrn  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2020 10:37:24(UTC)
achrn

The government guidance says "You must share the results of your risk assessment with your workforce. If possible, you should consider publishing the results on your website (and we would expect all employers with over 50 workers to do so)."

How many have actually published a risk assessment on your internet site for the world and their dog to find and read?

We've done a UK-wide (and not very useful) Risk Assessment, and published it on our intranet. I’m not inclined to put it on the internet because there doesn’t seem much actual benefit in doing so, but I’m curious to see if I’m in a tiny minority.

We've also produced much more useful site-specific arrangements and procedures documents that set out the specific detail that all staff need to know and follow at each office.  The latter documents are also on the intranet, but are specifically circulated to each member of staff authorised to return to each office and they need to confirm back that they've read it and will comply with it before they are allowed back on the premises.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2020 10:49:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Discussed in member to member back in May. Similar conclusion internet is for customers and advertising the business, intranet is for internal communication e.g. distributing risk assessments

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/07/2020(UTC), mikesorr68@googlemail.com on 06/08/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/07/2020(UTC), mikesorr68@googlemail.com on 06/08/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2020 10:49:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Discussed in member to member back in May. Similar conclusion internet is for customers and advertising the business, intranet is for internal communication e.g. distributing risk assessments

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/07/2020(UTC), mikesorr68@googlemail.com on 06/08/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/07/2020(UTC), mikesorr68@googlemail.com on 06/08/2020(UTC)
Bigmac1  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2020 16:52:43(UTC)
Bigmac1

What ive been advocating is to display the blue government covid-19 poster, signed up on websites but only once all control measures have been implemented in the workplace. It tells the world that you are Covid compliant. 

craigroberts76  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2020 08:45:57(UTC)
craigroberts76

dont see the point of it being on the internet.  its communicated internally and to visitors.  As long as is its guidance I'm not bothering, have better things to do than keep it updated in another place.

hopeful  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2020 13:24:23(UTC)
hopeful

The Government have pushed this is all their guidance. Apparantly Unions have started to jump up and down about the assessments not being on internets> We are publishing our main risk assessments then generic ones on our internet under advice from our Legal team. I am also making sure that they are also published on our Coronavirus pages of our intranet for colleagues.

thanks 1 user thanked hopeful for this useful post.
flysafe on 20/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2020 14:45:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Guidance - "advice or information"

Regulation - "a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority"

Don't see any connection with Union's other than their opportunistic antagonism. 

As with the difference between a mask and a face covering people should go to the source of information to separate fact from fiction and certainly not beleive the myth creators in the press and social media.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2020 14:45:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Guidance - "advice or information"

Regulation - "a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority"

Don't see any connection with Union's other than their opportunistic antagonism. 

As with the difference between a mask and a face covering people should go to the source of information to separate fact from fiction and certainly not beleive the myth creators in the press and social media.

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 20 July 2020 14:54:30(UTC)
A Kurdziel

“You should consider publishing the results on your website (and we would expect all employers with over 50 workers to do so”

We considered it and decided that we only need to inform our employees of the findings of the risk assessments that have been completed via our intranet. The quoted statement is not the law but an example of overweening arrogance. We “expect” the powers that be to wind their necks in.​​​​​​​

thanks 7 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
chris42 on 20/07/2020(UTC), Roundtuit on 20/07/2020(UTC), Acorns on 20/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC), aud on 20/07/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 21/07/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 21/07/2020(UTC)
adriankennedy-jones  
#10 Posted : 23 July 2020 10:22:33(UTC)
adriankennedy-jones

We've published our RA on the company intranet (Sharepoint), I think the term internet is a bit misleading. Government guidance is intended to assist in making sure that your employees are aware of controls being implemented and their responsibilities... in addition to anything else you are doing like sharing significant findings.  

CptBeaky  
#11 Posted : 23 July 2020 10:31:52(UTC)
CptBeaky

Obviously we haven't. Our"website" is nothing more than a couple of fancy photos and contact details. I don't think it has been updated in over 10 years! I don't see why we need to let the public know what the significant findings of our risk assessment is, we are not open to the public.

If someone is visiting we send them the relevant details before they arrive (where possible), alternatively they are displayed prominently, for everyone to see, on the notice board.

I, personally, think only the service industry has any reason to publish this information in public, such as pubs, restaurants, beauty salons etc.

thanks 3 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 23/07/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 23/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 23/07/2020(UTC)
WatsonD  
#12 Posted : 24 July 2020 14:55:17(UTC)
WatsonD

If you publish it on your internet it will save the HSE inspector having to visit so many sites as he picks of the weak ones from the comfort of his desk before he decides to pounce...

Gotta get some omney back into the coffers to pay for all those furloughs somehow!

thanks 2 users thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Kate on 27/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/07/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#13 Posted : 27 July 2020 13:58:57(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Following on from Watson’s suggestion, as there is apparently now no difference between guidance and actual regulations, the HSE could insist that all the intranet pages follow a particular colour scheme and anyone that does not will get a fixed penalty notice of £100. They could also change the actual requirements on a daily basis and not actually publish the details until the day they actually come into force.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 27/07/2020(UTC), HSSnail on 28/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 27 July 2020 19:32:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Though as Peter Gotch commented on the MDF SDS post after eight years the HSE are still to correct the information (use of Dichloromethane paint strippers in wood working) on their own web site despite being the National Enforcing authority.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 27 July 2020 19:32:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Though as Peter Gotch commented on the MDF SDS post after eight years the HSE are still to correct the information (use of Dichloromethane paint strippers in wood working) on their own web site despite being the National Enforcing authority.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#16 Posted : 28 July 2020 08:32:33(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The reason I posted that link from the HSE on that tread was because it had been updated (whatever that means) in June 2020!

Obviously the HSE have taken their eye off the ball: wonder why?

HSSnail  
#17 Posted : 28 July 2020 08:50:51(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Following on from Watson’s suggestion, as there is apparently now no difference between guidance and actual regulations, the HSE could insist that all the intranet pages follow a particular colour scheme and anyone that does not will get a fixed penalty notice of £100. They could also change the actual requirements on a daily basis and not actually publish the details until the day they actually come into force.

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

I know of a situation where a fellow H&S professional recieved a FFI for not following a guidance document that had been withdrawn 2 years prior to the visit (1 year before she was appointed) when questioned the response was "it well known in industry so you should have a copy!" Her boss decided it was easier to pay the fee than upset the HSE.

What happened to Health and safety for all?

Sorry dont know what happened with the Quote there.

Edited by user 28 July 2020 08:51:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#18 Posted : 28 July 2020 11:46:03(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Brian

How do you not follow a guidance document? Normally guidance docents say if this happens you should consider that and if that happens think about this. Its only regulations that tell you what you must do and you can only be prosecuted etc for a breach of regulations not for failing to follow guidance etc. Nor can you be “done” for not having a copy or being aware of a specific set of (withdrawn?) guidance. Do you know who they made the cheque out to when they paid up for the FFI? It wasn’t someone holiday fund was it?  

HSSnail  
#19 Posted : 28 July 2020 14:57:17(UTC)
HSSnail

It was over 3 years ago A so not sure - probably said they were not following a regulation or section because they were not following the guidance document - but as i say how anyone new was expected to follow it when it had been withdrawn by the HSE i dont know. I think it should have been questioned and i know my friend wanted to - but the company decided to pay up - what do they saw "dont poke a sleeping Bear"? Just another example of the madness that H&S is becomeing for me - 30 years i have been in this game - think its time i hung up my high viz!

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 29/07/2020(UTC)
Lucy D  
#20 Posted : 29 July 2020 11:50:59(UTC)
Lucy D

Could someone send me the link to the HSE's COVID-19 risk assessment please?

As the enforcement agency for workplace standards I assume this would provide an example of best practice?

thanks 1 user thanked Lucy D for this useful post.
WatsonD on 04/08/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#21 Posted : 29 July 2020 12:51:53(UTC)
Kate

Ouch

Reminds me of the time I realised BSI don't have ISO 9001 certification

A Kurdziel  
#22 Posted : 29 July 2020 13:31:47(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Lucy ask Neil Pearson, Head of Health, Safety and Wellbeing at the HSE. Just don’t tell I sent you!