Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gasman  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2020 13:19:16(UTC)
Gasman

Here is a link to the article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53443369 

Allegedly it seems a boy may have entered through a gap in the fence. We have seen one H&S individual prosecuted this week, will another follow? From the pic it seems the site is next to a childrens park and the fencing/site security is dreadfully inadequate and this really isn't anything hindsight is showing me it is very obvious if you ask me. 

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2020 14:08:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I am waiting until there has been an investigation by the HSE before commenting.

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2020 14:48:37(UTC)
peter gotch

I'm with AK. Can't possibly draw conclusions based on what is in the piece on BBC.

Many years ago, I parked up outside a housing estate being refurbished one October evening and came to the conclusion that this was the best protected refurbishment project I had ever seen (and there were many going on at the time). Completely surrounded by Heras fencing, access ladders removed from lower parts of scaffolds and with security guards patrolling.

The following morning, got into the office to find a telephone report of an accident in which a child had fallen from a scaffold on the site later the previous night. Had managed to break through the fence, chased to and up a scaffold by security guard, with both falling, the guard only one "lift" (2m) but child to ground. Site agent explained how many security guards there were and that on one evening children had got in and were told to go (perhaps with somewhat stronger wording). The following evening a repeat but this time the children were armed with machetes and the guards decided to leave and call the police. 

NOTE: nothing above should be taken to mean that I think that any fault lies with the victim of this tragic event in the City where I live.

All such things subject to what is reasonably practicable.

Edited by user 18 July 2020 14:08:43(UTC)  | Reason: Extra sentence to clarify

Alan Haynes  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2020 16:02:00(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Forum Rule 9 seems to cover this thread. (I await appropriate Moderation of it)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2020 16:41:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

The RA for moderation reads "do not hold breath whilst awaiting activity"

captcha yCSI

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 17/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC), Alan Haynes on 17/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2020 16:41:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

The RA for moderation reads "do not hold breath whilst awaiting activity"

captcha yCSI

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 17/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC), Alan Haynes on 17/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC)