Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ivorheadache  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2020 09:04:33(UTC)
ivorheadache

Morning.

I know you may have been asked this question before, but we have a staff who use tablets to carry out surveys which involve walking around for up to an hour (sometimes slightly more) checking things and inputting information as they go along. My thinking is that this isn't 'intensive' screen work They are encouraged to pre-populate information in the office beforehand using a workstation (stand and separate keyboard).

This question is around eyes and eyesight tests. My understanding the DSE eyesight test is for the distance the screen is used. At a workstation this would be roughly arms lengths away. However, we are also being asked that as these guys also use the tablets on surveys, they would need an additional eyesight test for when they are doing the survey (i.e. half an arms length away). So, do we now need to do 2 eyesight tests?

I have been told that DSE eyesight tests are Posture lead (i.e. sitting upright at the right distance from the screen). If this is the case, the I think the anwer is no.   

Would love to hear if anyone else has come across this problem and how did you resolve it.

Thanks if you can help.        

Kate  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2020 12:46:21(UTC)
Kate

I can't see this activity as making them DSE users.  If they were working intensively on the DSE, they would walk into things, trip over things and generally fall over.

As such there is no requirement to provide an eye test.

When I last had a DSE eye test, the optician asked me about the setup I was using including the distance my screen was at (ie was it like a normal desk setup or something else), so it seems this is or can be an input into the testing and so if you did do it, only one test would be needed (if they are not otherwise a DSE user).

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
ivorheadache on 20/07/2020(UTC)
ivorheadache  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2020 17:12:51(UTC)
ivorheadache

Thanks Kate. That's given me some food for thought. This is always going to be a sticky one until the DSE regs get updated.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 20 July 2020 18:02:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I work across desktop/laptop/tablet and phone. My eye test takes in to consideration these various devices (because I tell the optometrist) and the issued prescriptions reflect this. So I have a pair for driving, a pair for the desktop and another pair for reading. Nothing for the tablet or phone as these fall in to the same focal length as reading.

As the eye test is free when a prescription is issued its cost gets absorbed in to the basic DSE glasses.

This was not the case back when the regulations appeared and an eye test was a specific, chargeable and very expensive undertaking, along with the prescribed glasses.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2020 18:02:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I work across desktop/laptop/tablet and phone. My eye test takes in to consideration these various devices (because I tell the optometrist) and the issued prescriptions reflect this. So I have a pair for driving, a pair for the desktop and another pair for reading. Nothing for the tablet or phone as these fall in to the same focal length as reading.

As the eye test is free when a prescription is issued its cost gets absorbed in to the basic DSE glasses.

This was not the case back when the regulations appeared and an eye test was a specific, chargeable and very expensive undertaking, along with the prescribed glasses.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC), Kate on 20/07/2020(UTC)
aud  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2020 18:44:09(UTC)
aud

I must need an eyesight test as I am seeing double / double on this thread . . .

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2020 18:58:13(UTC)
Roundtuit

Two months in and still awaiting resolution (resolution) from the forum webhelp team.

Now know what it was like for Clarence the cross-eyed lion

Edited by user 20 July 2020 18:59:55(UTC)  | Reason: film reference

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2020 18:58:13(UTC)
Roundtuit

Two months in and still awaiting resolution (resolution) from the forum webhelp team.

Now know what it was like for Clarence the cross-eyed lion

Edited by user 20 July 2020 18:59:55(UTC)  | Reason: film reference

HSSnail  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2020 07:53:53(UTC)
HSSnail

DSE can apply to anyform of equipment - i dont think it just applies when you are sitting at a desk - but your description of the use of Ipads for me does not pass the test's for the person to be a user and therefore be eligable for an eyetest.

nic168  
#10 Posted : 21 July 2020 13:04:11(UTC)
nic168

Brian is correct, the regs apply to any device with an alpha numeric display that the user has to use for prolonged periods for their work.  As described in the opening post this is a short intermittetent use and so not covered by the regs.

I have never had a tablet user who did not have access to a desk top set up, so this question has not come up before. In the current climate i would be surprised if there were not people working on tablets or similar devices for prolonged periods, so be interesting to see how others respond