Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
manolan  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2020 17:33:46(UTC)
manolan

Hi All,

The site I work on has a tenant (manufacturing company) renting. I'm an H&S Manager for the site and realize I have responsibilty for "anyone that crosses our gate".  Where do my obligations start and stop? 

If I walk into their building and see unsafe practices what are my obligations, as they are tenants. Are there are guidance documents available.

Many Thanks

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2020 19:20:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

This should all be documented in the rental agreement - rights of access by the tennant (their employees and suppliers), responsibilities of the landlord, responsibilities of the tennant etc.

Basically they rent the area so they are responsible for the employer H&S in the area.

If it is a linked fire alarm/security gate/sprinkler system you need a degree of co-operation.

Should you walk "uninvited or otherwise than by appointment" in to the tennants area and see something contrary to your perception of H&S law all you can do is raise this with the tennant. If it is a significant concern (e.g. electricity meter by-passed) you should also report it to your employer as this could be a breach of the tennancy.

What you are not is their H&S competent person unless contractually engaged or obligated under agreement.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2020 19:20:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

This should all be documented in the rental agreement - rights of access by the tennant (their employees and suppliers), responsibilities of the landlord, responsibilities of the tennant etc.

Basically they rent the area so they are responsible for the employer H&S in the area.

If it is a linked fire alarm/security gate/sprinkler system you need a degree of co-operation.

Should you walk "uninvited or otherwise than by appointment" in to the tennants area and see something contrary to your perception of H&S law all you can do is raise this with the tennant. If it is a significant concern (e.g. electricity meter by-passed) you should also report it to your employer as this could be a breach of the tennancy.

What you are not is their H&S competent person unless contractually engaged or obligated under agreement.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 28/07/2020(UTC)