Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
peterhosie  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2020 11:14:45(UTC)
peterhosie

How are everyone's involvement with unions and particularly with any discussions/ consultations when trying to get staff back to work?

I'm finding some are being very obstructive with over the top demands and sadly feel they have badly let themselves down at this unique time.

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2020 11:25:08(UTC)
CptBeaky

Thankfully our workforce doesn't have a union. I feel they have a place, but many seem to be far more concerned with point scoring against a conservative government (which hardly takes any effort) than actually trying to protect their members.

To be fair though, a lot of the union demands I have seen do seem reasonable, so swings and round-abouts really.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
peterhosie on 10/08/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2020 14:09:21(UTC)
biker1

I can't help thinking that the union movement has been in decline since the days of Maggie Thatcher, who set out to smash their power following the 'winter of discontent'.

John Murray  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2020 07:19:29(UTC)
John Murray

Unions now use the law, quite extensively and effectively, rather than strikes. When a previous employer laughingly, and literally, threw me out, they did say "go to your union then". I did. Thanks for the new car.

Rather worryingly, many employers are not placing the health and welfare of their employees at the top of the list, or indeed anywhere on the list, in the CV19 debacle. Probably they are following the govt lack of interest in the health of the peasants. I promise to not mention the hundreds of £millions provided by the govt, to a large variety of companies (many of who are donors to the govt) to provide low-grade-and-useless PPE to health staff (of which over 1000 have died and many more thousands have been infected).

Never mind their initial decision to allow the spread in the hope of "herd immunity" being gained.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2020 08:20:51(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: peterhosie Go to Quoted Post

I'm finding some are being very obstructive with over the top demands and sadly feel they have badly let themselves down at this unique time.

What sort of things are they asking for that is OTT ? it is easy to knee jerk actions which on reflection don't add anything.

Chris

JL  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2020 14:57:57(UTC)
JL

I deal with a few different unions in my line and I have always been completely Honest about what I am doing regarding COVID (they have always been thankful and supportive), I have occasionally come across a few “over keen” union reps who come up with ridicules ideas/demands. 

My normal response would be to say thanks you for the advice and consultation (which is all it is) and get on doing what I’m doing, if they persist I give them my risk assessment and safe system of work and ask then to evidence that what they are suggesting is an substantially better reducing the risk (put the burden of proof on them). If its not great and the benefit is negligible I thank them and tell them I will not be implementing thier recommendations.  

Just remember – its only a consultation and they only represent those who are part of there union, not the rest of the workers.

thanks 1 user thanked JL for this useful post.
peterhosie on 12/08/2020(UTC)
russ pt  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2020 15:38:49(UTC)
russ pt

Throughout this period we have consulted and communicated with our workforce, both union and non-union employees. We have been clear about what we're doing and why. There has been some discontent or moans but no more than that. The majority recognise that we have put things in place for a reason and continue to review our risk assessment regularly. Trades Unions are there to work with us not against us as we all seek the same end goal, healthy workforce and jobs.

thanks 1 user thanked russ pt for this useful post.
John Murray on 12/08/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2020 21:11:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: JL Go to Quoted Post
they only represent those who are part of there union, not the rest of the workers

Not quite how it worked at ICI and other employers - the company recognised the union, consulted/negotiated and everyone who did not carry a card ended up with the same negotiated outcome by default.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2020 21:11:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: JL Go to Quoted Post
they only represent those who are part of there union, not the rest of the workers

Not quite how it worked at ICI and other employers - the company recognised the union, consulted/negotiated and everyone who did not carry a card ended up with the same negotiated outcome by default.

peterhosie  
#10 Posted : 12 August 2020 12:03:09(UTC)
peterhosie

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

What sort of things are they asking for that is OTT ? it is easy to knee jerk actions which on reflection don't add anything.

Chris

Asking external staff to wear surgical masks which is going against govt recommendations and is taking the short supply away from clinical staff. 

thanks 1 user thanked peterhosie for this useful post.
Kate on 12/08/2020(UTC)
John Murray  
#11 Posted : 12 August 2020 17:29:33(UTC)
John Murray

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

Chris

Asking external staff to wear surgical masks which is going against govt recommendations and is taking the short supply away from clinical staff. 

Plenty of "surgical" masks available in the NHS. Not so many FFP3/N95. Surgical masks are of limited use anyway...

Kate  
#12 Posted : 13 August 2020 07:02:54(UTC)
Kate

No union where I am, but I note the guidance for workplaces in England has been updated.  It used to talk about consultation on the risk assessment, but seems now to have expanded this to:

The decision to return to the workplace must be made in meaningful consultation with workers (including through trade unions or employee representative groups where they exist). A meaningful consultation means engaging in an open conversation about returning to the workplace before any decision to return has been made. This should include a discussion of the timing and phasing of any return and any risk mitigations that have been implemented.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 13/08/2020(UTC)