Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robertson22374  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2020 14:13:49(UTC)
Robertson22374

Hi, I wondered if anyone has experience of this situation? 

An employee was reported as being absent due to an injury and when I investigated I discovered he had an eye injury after getting a small fragment of metal in his eye. 

When I called the employee to take a statement, he advised that he finished work on the Friday, felt no issues at all, didn't suspect anything was wrong. He went home, got changed, went to bed, got up on the Saturday and only started noticing some irritation later that afternoon.

It got worse over the Sunday and eye drops didn't clear it so he visited the doctor and optician on Monday and was referred to the eye infirmary where they removed a tiny fragment of metal that may have come from the job he was working at on Friday.  He would have been exposed to this at work, but was wearing eye protection and did not notice any irritation until almost 24 hours later.

The optician thought it could have been on his clothes or in his hair and only lodged in the eye when changing later or sleeping.  So, is this an accident at work for reporting purposes?  I'm not too clear on this.

Thanks.

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2020 14:39:51(UTC)
Bigmac1

Robertson.

It may well have been on the clothing. Do an investigation and this could be one of your findings. In respect of reporting, its not reportable as its not permanenet or reduction of site, is it?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2020 14:40:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Unless you can identify the specfic fragment as originating at your place of work then the answer would be no - anything else would be conjecture. Metallic debris can occur anywhere (for example opening a can of food, shredding documents with staples left in, various DIY and maintenance tasks, changing a plug) and is readily transferred from surfaces by hands or clothing.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Robertson22374 on 12/08/2020(UTC), Robertson22374 on 12/08/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2020 14:40:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Unless you can identify the specfic fragment as originating at your place of work then the answer would be no - anything else would be conjecture. Metallic debris can occur anywhere (for example opening a can of food, shredding documents with staples left in, various DIY and maintenance tasks, changing a plug) and is readily transferred from surfaces by hands or clothing.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Robertson22374 on 12/08/2020(UTC), Robertson22374 on 12/08/2020(UTC)
Robertson22374  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2020 15:14:41(UTC)
Robertson22374

Thanks for the responses!  I just mean reporting with the company accident recording system, it's not a RIDDOR reportable accident.

Yeah, not being sure where the fragment originated made me think it wasn't an accident at work either, but as always other informed opinions are priceless.

Kate  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2020 08:37:46(UTC)
Kate

As it may have been due to work I would say it does need to be logged and investigated.  Even if you can't prove it was at work, your investigation may lead to some preventative actions which after all is the main point of reporting and investigating accidents.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Robertson22374 on 12/08/2020(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2020 08:49:19(UTC)
CptBeaky

I agree with Kate. Also if this happened in an industry with a higher risk of metal particles entering the eye (cutting metal for example) then it may be better to go with the more reasonable assumption that it did happen at work.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
chris42  
#8 Posted : 12 August 2020 08:59:47(UTC)
chris42

You note they claim to be wearing eye protection, but if that is just glasses and they are using a hand grinder or die grinder/ cutter, the metal particles could easily sit in eye lashes / brows and fall into eyes later on. I have experienced this myself, but most of time just washes out with enough water. A die grinder produces sharp little shards and so would dig in.

Even if using a visor, particles can make it over the top or get into hair etc and fall down later.

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
billstrak  
#9 Posted : 12 August 2020 12:48:45(UTC)
billstrak

Hi there,

Workers starting to feel pain and discomfort from an eye irritation after around 24 hours of carrying out cutting and grinding works is pretty typical.

I suppose it all depends on the follow-up investigation and method of removal of the Foreign Body (FB) as to how you would classify it as it is likely to be a MTC if the fragment could not be removed by irrigation only.

I have found that many cases of this type of injury are as a result of a lack of awareness of the effects of FB's and workers and supervisors not reacting quickly enough as soon as they suspect or feel the slightest doscomfort.

As a previous post highlighted, the FB may well have entered the eye while doffing PPE at the end of his/her shift, which does not take the onus away from the employer.

I have previously implemented training and awareness of donning/doffing PPE following grinding, welding & cutting activities as well as immediate actions when a worker thinks they may have had a FB enter his/her eye, which is to seek first aid immediately and get the eye irrigated to remove the FB which would then only be classified as a First Aid Treatment

Once a FB has been in the eye for over a few hours, a protective film is produced around the FB and it will subsequently be very difficult to remove without medical treatment and likely days away from work.

So, I would strongly suggest training and awareness sessions around preventing potential FB injuries by correct use and doffing of PPE and immediate actions if a worker suspects a FB injury has  occurred.

Edited by user 12 August 2020 12:57:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked billstrak for this useful post.
HSSnail on 12/08/2020(UTC), Robertson22374 on 12/08/2020(UTC), Kate on 13/08/2020(UTC)
HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 12 August 2020 13:02:35(UTC)
HSSnail

Think billstrak makes some very valid comments here. Have seen on numerouse occasions gloves being supplied as PPE with no training on removal - such that people contaminate their hands at end of shift/task without realising - and because they have had gloves on think they dont need to wash their hands.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Robertson22374 on 12/08/2020(UTC), billstrak on 12/08/2020(UTC)
Robertson22374  
#11 Posted : 12 August 2020 14:26:42(UTC)
Robertson22374

Thanks very much for all the input, really useful.

I've investigated and logged it and the advice on the correct type of eye protection as well as the careful removal of PPE is really good, thank you.

thanks 1 user thanked Robertson22374 for this useful post.
billstrak on 12/08/2020(UTC)