Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JL  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2020 15:07:30(UTC)
JL

I had some questions come my way recently about the use of Nano tech sprays in offices to protect against COVID (apparently they provide up to 3 months protection). Has anyone used these sprays or are they only designed for specific areas. Be interested to hear some reviews.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2020 15:32:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Quick internet search landed on a Japanese water based solution supposedly effective for five years but it doesn't actually kill the virus - given the planet has been tackling Covid-19 for less than one year how do they know it will still be good in anther four?

Snake Oil anyone? 

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2020 15:32:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Quick internet search landed on a Japanese water based solution supposedly effective for five years but it doesn't actually kill the virus - given the planet has been tackling Covid-19 for less than one year how do they know it will still be good in anther four?

Snake Oil anyone? 

Kate  
#4 Posted : 12 August 2020 08:45:57(UTC)
Kate

What sort of "nano tech" is this?

It reminds me of the fancy pseudo-scientific jargon used to sell face creams.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/08/2020(UTC)
HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2020 09:05:52(UTC)
HSSnail

Bought a face covering a while ago being manufactured by a local cloathing compnay (thought i would support the local economy) the "nano technology" cloath on the outside is basicaly water repelant - so if people wanted to wera it outside (not sure why you would) it would be ok in the rain! If someone "sneezes" on you it apparently stops the absorption of the "water".

Not sure if its any better than an old tea shirt - as i say was supporting a local Yorkshire company!

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/08/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2020 09:50:23(UTC)
Kate

I do wear mine outside, as I am a 5 minute walk from the shops so I put it on before I go and take it off at home to put directly into the laundry.

Nothing so technological for me, I supported a local company which supplies cotton-based kits that you make up with needle and thread.

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 17 August 2020 11:53:22(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Read this and thought: ooh nanotech-tiny little robots that can hunt down the virus! Very clever! but it now looks like the standard snake oil- oh well!

chris.packham  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2020 06:07:22(UTC)
chris.packham

Why not just ask them for the documentation, i.e. the peer reviewed studies that they have conducted to substantiate their claims. This usually results in a deafening silence! Also ensures that they do not contact you with another 'magic' product.