Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Christine7  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2020 14:11:20(UTC)
Christine7

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me at all please.  We had a leak in our wetroom which resulted in a lot of the tiles being taken off to see what was beneath them.  Upshot is that they need to come off and leak still exists but the builder has resulted for the last 3 weeks in placing pastic sheeting on the wall of our wetroom with silver tape to hold it on just so that we can have a shower! He has not been back yet.  What are the health hazards please? I did pass my Health and Safety Managaing Safely in 2011 but hyad to retire in 2012 so sadly have not kept up with IOSH or the regulations hence this question. Thank you very much if anyone could help me.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2020 14:23:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

Bit more information please: Rented or your own property? Builder appointed by yourself, your landlord or your insurers? Time is of the essence stated in relation to the works?

Plastic sheeting the wall is not in itself a health or safety risk (had to do this in my shower for four weeks as the new tiles we had delivered were cracked and had to wait for replacement.

The continuation of the leak however is not acceptable - it may be entering the fabric of the building, will require time to thoroughly dry out (think of those displaced for months following flooding) could affect the wiring and give rise to mold and mildew if not handled correctly.

If you haven't paid the current builder too much money I would be back to my insurers for immediate assistance. If you have handed over a significant amount of cash write recorded delivery telling them it is unacceptable for your health for the situation to continue and if they are unable to attend you require a refund of all monies to date as you will be calling in another builder.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2020 14:23:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

Bit more information please: Rented or your own property? Builder appointed by yourself, your landlord or your insurers? Time is of the essence stated in relation to the works?

Plastic sheeting the wall is not in itself a health or safety risk (had to do this in my shower for four weeks as the new tiles we had delivered were cracked and had to wait for replacement.

The continuation of the leak however is not acceptable - it may be entering the fabric of the building, will require time to thoroughly dry out (think of those displaced for months following flooding) could affect the wiring and give rise to mold and mildew if not handled correctly.

If you haven't paid the current builder too much money I would be back to my insurers for immediate assistance. If you have handed over a significant amount of cash write recorded delivery telling them it is unacceptable for your health for the situation to continue and if they are unable to attend you require a refund of all monies to date as you will be calling in another builder.

Christine7  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2020 16:18:49(UTC)
Christine7

We are renting off a Housing Association so no monies have bcc even exchanged by us. The leak has existed since October last year, no one cares enough to try harder for us until three weeks ago whereby it was found that tiles were placed on top of tiles in our wet room and not keyed in. The grout was not a bathroom grout just a normal one which subsequently cracked and let the water in. We have been on to our Housing Association who have tried their best to get the builders back in to finish the job. The builders have told me direct that it is not a small job and they will ring me when they get a date! They simply are tired of my nagging at them to get it done but I am tired too of being disabled and having a carpet wet then dry since last October. Thank you for your helping me.
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2020 18:46:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

Your Housing Association as landlord owes you the duty of care - you can of course report rogue landlords to the local authority (interesting most housing associations arose from the "privatisation" of council housing stock) or better still get the duly elected (MP & local councillor) involved. Point out the accomodation in its current state is not fit for purpose and ask them what they intend to do to remedy the situation including re-housing or a reduction in rent. You can guarantee when the wet room was specified some smart aleck on a spread sheet tried to save a few quid a bucket for the grout.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2020 18:46:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

Your Housing Association as landlord owes you the duty of care - you can of course report rogue landlords to the local authority (interesting most housing associations arose from the "privatisation" of council housing stock) or better still get the duly elected (MP & local councillor) involved. Point out the accomodation in its current state is not fit for purpose and ask them what they intend to do to remedy the situation including re-housing or a reduction in rent. You can guarantee when the wet room was specified some smart aleck on a spread sheet tried to save a few quid a bucket for the grout.