Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlacey83  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2020 11:36:04(UTC)
mlacey83

Hello all,

I am looking for gloves to use with a mobile air conditioning system to provide protection from frost bite if the user was to come into contact the the refrigerant gas R134a.

The safety data sheet states that Viton gloves are required, and I am wanting to know if viton covered gloves would be just as affective. I have contacted glove manufacturers to see if they can advise however have received no response as yet.

Has anyone had experience with this particular type of gas/ppe that they can offer any advice on please? 

LouiseSmith88  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2020 17:33:33(UTC)
LouiseSmith88

Hi there!

We store, pick and pack the same refridgerant gas in our warehouse for the re-gas of vehicles - We use the Viton gloves as although risk is minimal when handling the full cannisters inside, we have to offload used cannisters outside and so as to save confusion or allow room for error by using two types for the two scenarios we went with the Viton Gloves.  We handle other similar chemicals so we have a supply anyway and it made sense to us.

Maybe consult your risk assessment to see what the liklihood is of the handlers being in the way of getting frostbite?  Maybe with that information and the manufactureres you can make a more informed desicion about the best way to control the risk for your business :)