Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KeithForman  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2020 14:54:04(UTC)
KeithForman

Good afternoon everyone.  Long time lurker, first time poster.  I've searched for this subject but didn't find anything in the forums so apologies if it's been done before.

I've been asked for advice by a director of a sister company (not my area of responsibility) on RIDDOR reporting times on for a dangerous occurence.

A bit of background information; one of their manufacturing units has suffered a fire and will be out of operaiton for more than the 24 hour time limit defined in RIDDOR Regulation 25.  Glad to report there were no injuries, so is undoubtedly a dangerous occurence rather than a reportable injury.

What is the time limit for reporting a dangerous occurence?  I've seen conflicting information, even within HSE guidance/UK legislation.

Many thanks.

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2020 15:08:02(UTC)
Hsquared14

I would say report it as soon as possible - the only reason for delay would be to determine the exact cause but strictly speaking the form doesn't require a forensically determined cause so I would just report it as soon as you know that it has happened and when you will be back in action.  I know this doesn't give you an exact timescale but I don't think there are any exact timescales for DOs - I'll take a look at the guidance again and edit this is I find anything more definitive.

Only thing I can find is a footnote that reports must be received within 10days.

Edited by user 17 August 2020 15:14:11(UTC)  | Reason: checked guidance again for any specified timings

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
KeithForman on 17/08/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2020 15:47:11(UTC)
chris42

The legislation requires ( schedule 1 part1)

Injuries, fatalities and dangerous occurrences

1.—(1) Where required to follow the reporting procedure by regulation 4, 5, 6 or 7 (except in relation to a mine or quarry), the responsible person must—

(a)notify the relevant enforcing authority of the reportable incident by the quickest practicable means without delay; and

(b)send a report of that incident in an approved manner to the relevant enforcing authority within 10 days of the incident.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
KeithForman on 17/08/2020(UTC)
KeithForman  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2020 15:49:43(UTC)
KeithForman

Thanks Hsquared.  I'll pass on what you said.

What guidance did you find it in?  There's no mention of it in INDG453 or in the HSE dangerous occrences pages...

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Only thing I can find is a footnote that reports must be received within 10days.

Not to worry, the question has been answered.  Thanks.

Edited by user 17 August 2020 15:51:39(UTC)  | Reason: Chris42 has answered my question.