Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hardworkingdude  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2020 08:32:50(UTC)
hardworkingdude

Hi all, (newbie here so take it easy). I'm just wondering what steps everyone takes after an accident aside from the accident investigation when an employee gets injured. Currently we do an accident investigation, reccommend control measures review r.a's etc all the good stuff that comes from doing an investigation.

What I would like to know is what steps you take for the employee, what accidents you refer to insurance, do you do an occupational health assessment for anyone who is injured or only those who may have ongoing restrictions. Do you refer to rehab service regardless of if you feel it may be the business' fault. etc

lisar  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2020 12:27:22(UTC)
lisar

Hi - I only give notification to our insurers if we believe the employee may claim i.e workplace gossip, or the accident is a seious one that may attract alarge value claim. The problem  is the insurers will then put a reserve against a potential claim unless it states in your policy that they won't do that. If no claim arisies in circa 6 months they will close the file. If you have a Legal Team you might want to discuss with them what the ceiling is on this for your Business. If not it is down to you to decide but any details you pass to insurers does help to make the process easier at your end if a claim does materialise.

We rely on the fit to work note from their GP. Some GP's will say fit to work providing a risk assessment has been carried out for the individual. The GP will not advise you on the risk assessment as its the Businesses job to do this. In terms of someone really struglling them HR would support and if required use Occi Health as you have mentioned below. Our insurers offer Rehabilitation where required and its quite interesting how many refuse it which does not help the claimant but is most likley what their Solicitor has advised. Time and time again where a claim has been made I hear" Ive been told by my Solicitor not to speak to HR"

Hope this helps, I know my response is weighted heavily on claims as our HR deal with the other employees that are not claiming but are unfit through accidents.

CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2020 07:50:42(UTC)
CptBeaky

Can't say we ever refer cases to our insurance company, maybe we would if it was a serious accident. We do offer paid time off for any physio that even has a small link to anything work related (bad backs etc.), but do not pay for any private physio (chiropractic stuff, which I think is nonsense anyway).

If the person had an injury that could affect their safety then we (I) would risk assess them, to ensure the work is still able to be carried out in a safe manner. I do this with the individual, as they may have physcological issues with returning to the same machine/process etc.. If it is deemed that they cannot carry out that work safely , they would be moved onto another job until we felt is was the right time to move them back.

In all cases, if they had any time off with the injury, we conduct a back to work interview to ensure they feel safe and heppy to return.