Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
deansal51  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2020 13:40:52(UTC)
deansal51

Hi all we are hoping to implement a basic breath test for employees at work soon, but with the present COVID conditions are we ok to use one and is it safe , the equipment is a basic lion alcolmeter sd-400, if the person taking the test does not touch the machine is it ok as the tubes are throwaway and we can have a screen so the the person holding the analyser is safe as well and of course we will wipe down aferwards as well. tahnks for your help .D. 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2020 18:20:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

TBH I would delay implementing something you have not been frequently using especially given the potential to end up at tribunal because someone has been dismissed.

Most policies have sample refusal considered an automatic fail which given the hype and controls in the workplace about sterilising "touch points" would it be unreasonable for an employee to refuse to place their lips on anything handled by others?

I appreciate the Police are using breathalysers but it must be remembered they have been doing it for a long time and have a firm legislated basis for doing so.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 18/09/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/09/2020(UTC), Wailes900134 on 18/09/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/09/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2020 18:20:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

TBH I would delay implementing something you have not been frequently using especially given the potential to end up at tribunal because someone has been dismissed.

Most policies have sample refusal considered an automatic fail which given the hype and controls in the workplace about sterilising "touch points" would it be unreasonable for an employee to refuse to place their lips on anything handled by others?

I appreciate the Police are using breathalysers but it must be remembered they have been doing it for a long time and have a firm legislated basis for doing so.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 18/09/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/09/2020(UTC), Wailes900134 on 18/09/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/09/2020(UTC)
Acorns  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2020 21:18:05(UTC)
Acorns

what is the purpose of the testing? Is it with cause after an incident or simply a random test?  The more serious and relevant the reason then perhaps the more effort you might plan to put in pace on how its done.  You can fit the mouthpiece without touching it so you could set up the device and hand it to the person, assuming you have fully explained what you want them to do.  Of course if it is/was a serious matter and you don't want to go for a breath test, then have you look at the alternatives albeit they tend to be more time critical. 

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2020 20:47:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Someone must touch something in the process. Normally the person under test should not "interfere" with the device i.e. touch it.
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2020 20:47:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Someone must touch something in the process. Normally the person under test should not "interfere" with the device i.e. touch it.