Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ricardox  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2020 15:56:59(UTC)
Ricardox

Hi all.

I inspected one of our civil works sub-contractors who are laying new utilities.

Trench depth varies from around 1.2 to 1.8m. Walls and face are clay and sand and are in the roadway. Width of trench is around 1.5m to 2m. Operatives are going into the trench to hand dig around existing utilities, so even in the shallower sections their head is well below the lip.

The subbies are obviously not used to using any form of trench support and seem suprised that I'm insisting that they do, so much so that my MD is questioning me why work needs to stop. (he's concerned about cost and delay to project).

Any advice would be welcome. 

Thanks 

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2020 17:59:21(UTC)
peter gotch

Ricardox

Do you work for the Main/Principal Contractor or the Client?

Whichever, if the trench collapses, the impact on cost and programme is likely to be much greater than NOT stopping the job. 

Even worse if the roadway you describe is a public highway and the collapse might result from passing traffic - so if you are in the UK not only might HSE be interested but also the local highway authority responsible for enforcing the New Roads and Streetworks Act.

In such circumstances, there are other issues that you haven't brought into the equation - temporary traffic management (sign, cones etc), and how to prevent vehicles/plant and people falling into the trench. May be these are not problems but on the basis of what you describe I doubt that everything else is OK!

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2020 19:18:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

What does the principals RAMS say about this project task?

What is your role to now be demanding the subbies use supports?

If they are your RAMS and you documented using supports then there should be no argument from your MD.

Remind them "value engineering" aka cost cutting increases their chances of 18 years custodial in the event of a Gross Negligence Manslaughter prosecution following a trench collapse.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2020 19:18:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

What does the principals RAMS say about this project task?

What is your role to now be demanding the subbies use supports?

If they are your RAMS and you documented using supports then there should be no argument from your MD.

Remind them "value engineering" aka cost cutting increases their chances of 18 years custodial in the event of a Gross Negligence Manslaughter prosecution following a trench collapse.

Ricardox  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2020 07:35:00(UTC)
Ricardox

Thanks Peter and Roundtuit for your replies.

I'm happy to report that Trench supports being installed today. 

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2020 09:29:56(UTC)
peter gotch

Progress! Now look carefully at what else is wrong.

Any civils subbie that doesn't automatically get it that trenches (of the depths you quote) in ground other than hard rock need "temporary works" is unlikely to have everything else under control.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 22/09/2020(UTC)
Gerry Knowles  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2020 13:26:49(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

I am a bit late to this.  I was indirectly involved in the Cotswold Geotech incident where a young man was in a trench when it collapsed, those of you who have heard of the case will know that the young man died.  This case led to the first successful prosecution for corporate manslaughter.  I don't want to dwell on the facts of the case but the aftermath. 

As a result of this incident a young man lost his life and his parents lost their son. The company lost its reputation and eventually folded and everyone lost their jobs. There were other effects on the senior management and their families, which I won't go into.  In all a lot of people suffered severely from this incident even if they were not involved directly. 

This incident should be reminder to us all as health and safety professionals that we should be fearless and we should stick to our guns and put in place the appropriate control measures before a job starts or if the job has been started and needs to be stopped to ensure the safety of the people caryring out the work we should do it.  The consequences for everyone cannot and should not be ignored as the effects on the people who involved either directly or indirectly are huge and will without doubt change their lives forever. 

thanks 1 user thanked Gerry Knowles for this useful post.
Ricardox on 24/09/2020(UTC)