Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Waz  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2020 11:53:01(UTC)
Waz

Having had an injury on site, which resulted in an initial 6 days absence, a return to work for 1/2 day, including his reviews of RAMS etc. plus 1/2 day holiday; then to be added to in terms of sickness because of pain caused by dressing changes and inability to sleep, who would report this as an 'over 7-day' injury?

I appreciate the RIDDOR statement of 7 consecutive days, but as the absence was a 'direct result' of the incident, then I feel obliged to report under the current guidance, regardless of the 1/2 day holiday, given it was in essence 11/12 days.  

Thoughts appreciated.

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2020 13:20:19(UTC)
CptBeaky

From the HSE website

"Accidents must be reported where they result in an employee or self-employed person being away from work, or unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days as the result of their injury. This seven day period does not include the day of the accident, but does include weekends and rest days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident."

The only way this would be seen as a RIDDOR case given what you have posted (in my opinion) would be 

1. If the second abscence was greater than 7 days (look like it was less by your final sentence)
  2. If you felt that on the 1/2 day he was there he was unable to perform their normal work duties (i.e. if they are a FLT driver, could they still drive the forklift, or did they have to do filing instead?)

As always the RIDDOR reporting can be very subjective, so I am sure some will disagree with this.

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2020 13:49:33(UTC)
peter gotch

The Captain is right on the basis of the information given.

The test is whether the injured person could do their normal job.

So, if that is a task that involves using both hands, and one is injured, such that on return to work (for half a day [AND the half day holiday], they were not fit to do the task requiring two hands but was instead assigned a task which could be done using only the uninjured hand, then you are going to exceed the 7 consecutive days.

In contrast, if they have returned to do their normal work in a normal way then the number of consecutive days is broken and thence not RIDDOR-reportable.

Using the Captain's example of the fork truck driver, if they attempted to drive it with one hand, then that is not doing their normal work in a normal way! [Unless the fork truck has been specifically adapted for a person with disability, such that the injured person can operate it "normally" and in accordance with their normal instructions, i.e. without special restrictions to cater for temporary disability].

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 07/10/2020(UTC)
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2020 14:28:18(UTC)
HSSnail

Did the injury "arise out of the work activity" different to just being "on site" example i always give is triping over my own shoelace or tripping on a torn carpet, both in the office. Tieing shoes is not a work activity can be off forever and its nor RIDDOR, maintaing carpets is a work activity so RIDDOR could apply.

If you esatblish it was aout of a work activity.

Was the IP CAPABLE of doing his normal duties on the 1/2 day in office or his 1/2 day holiday?

If yes not RIDDOR

If no then RIDDOR

As cptBeaky stated its " unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days"

I have to say the way in reading your post it is RIDDOR if it was work activity.

Edited by user 07 October 2020 14:29:04(UTC)  | Reason: spelling