Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichardPerry1066  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2020 10:50:17(UTC)
RichardPerry1066

I've seen an  item (a mineral speciment forming part of an old collection) offrered for sale in an auction. The item in question is seen in a photograph and is clearly inadequately packaged (just a thin ziplock bag).  It's offered via a "proper" UK auction house (ie not ebay). 

Does anyone know how this is regulated - ie the sale of second hand goods containing Asbestos?. Is it covered by REACH? I know that the auctioneers staff will be covered under the AAW regs but is there anything else?

I have of course contacted the auctioneers but it would be interesting to know what regulations if any apply?

auction lot

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2020 11:02:02(UTC)
peter gotch

Richard - I think it is OK if going to a museum, with appropriate precautions (which would be a bit more than a plastic freezer bag!)

https://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/assets/docs/exemption-certificate.pdf

What the specific rules might be for the auctioneer, I don't know. Always possible that someone might have sprayed the various bits of rock on the mounting with an encapsulant, but assuming that one or more of the geological samples are asbestos rock, the risk should be relatively low whilst still in rock form. 

Edited by user 14 October 2020 12:21:46(UTC)  | Reason: Additional paragraph