Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mersey  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2020 11:22:19(UTC)
Mersey

I am trying to write a workable procedure around Hot work for one of our manufacturing facilites. Hot work would not be a common activity at this particular site. 

I am being challenged (and its a good challenge) over the duration of the fire watch period. I've looked at guidance from FM global Allianz etc.. and some suggest 120 mins.

The site is not a 24/7 operation (9-5) and so we would be asking people to stop all hotwork activities at 15:00.

Is it possible that fire watch time period to be determined by a risk assessment? A person grinding a peice of metal in a room with no combustible material around would not require a 120 min fire watch, but on the otherhand welding pipework in an area where combustibles can't be moved would require more vigilance etc..

How do other people manage this

thanks 1 user thanked Mersey for this useful post.
Chibueze on 27/11/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2020 12:16:55(UTC)
stevedm

yes but it falls down to getting your insurers to agree to it...so good luck with that :)...as most I have dealt with have said no...I did get one in Ireland to accept only after we added extra training and extra manpower to security over the period effectively making it not cost effective long term...

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2020 12:55:47(UTC)
Hsquared14

Check with your own insurer, if you go by FM Global then you need to be aware that they set a really high bar which is not based on risk assessment as we know it in the UK.  Most insurers ask for hot work to cease an hour before the site shuts down for the day and if covered by a hot work permit with protection / removal of combustibles the fire watch is for one hour.  BUT you have to be able to prove that you have robust procedures for control of hot work and prevention of ignition.

Lawlee45239  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2020 13:07:35(UTC)
Lawlee45239

Originally Posted by: Mersey Go to Quoted Post

I am trying to write a workable procedure around Hot work for one of our manufacturing facilites. Hot work would not be a common activity at this particular site. 

I am being challenged (and its a good challenge) over the duration of the fire watch period. I've looked at guidance from FM global Allianz etc.. and some suggest 120 mins.

The site is not a 24/7 operation (9-5) and so we would be asking people to stop all hotwork activities at 15:00.

Is it possible that fire watch time period to be determined by a risk assessment? A person grinding a peice of metal in a room with no combustible material around would not require a 120 min fire watch, but on the otherhand welding pipework in an area where combustibles can't be moved would require more vigilance etc..

How do other people manage this

Without knowing the ins and outs of the faciltiy/ task you could ask the following questions:

1. Can hot works be eliminated? Can bolting be done instead? Or off site assembly? 

2. What is the size of the room, and room build (block walls/ partitions) 

3. What are in the adjacent rooms?

4. Is there fire supression/ alarm?

5. Is there a hot works permit in place? 

6. If there were to be a fire post hot works and out of hours, what would be the outcome? Wouold the business be able to continue? 

I would talk to your insurers direct and seek guidance from them as the works will need to be within the insurance level you have.

Kate  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2020 16:41:27(UTC)
Kate

I've seen 30 minutes and 1 hour fire watch duration in hot works procedures in the past.  2 hours does sound onerous.

CptBeaky  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2020 16:56:37(UTC)
CptBeaky

Ours is one hour. In practice it is actually 1 hour 15 minutes. Basically all hot work has to stop by last tea break, and the area is inspected during the lock up 1 hour 15 minutes later.

That being said, all our hot work is normally contained in one small room with plenty of controls in place to ensure the risk is pretty much zero, so we feel 1 hour is sufficient.

Holliday42333  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2020 20:19:56(UTC)
Holliday42333

FM Global were the insurers of this risk in my last business.  They specified 1hr continuous watch and a further 3hrs of periodic (no more than 30min intervals) after that.  The stipulation was applied globaly even in territories that had not seen an insurable fire event.

Most of this requirement built up over time.  Initially it was 30 mins continuous fire watch, but there was a claim that was based on a fire starting after this period (in reality its entirely likely the fire watch didn't actually last 30 mins but no one was going to admit that as it would invalidate the claim).

Then it was 1hr continuous fire watch, but there was a claim that was based on a fire starting after this period (in reality its entirely likely the fire watch didn't actually last 1hr but no one was going to admit that as it would invalidate the claim).

Then it went to the 1hr plus monitoring.

Whilst its hard to accept, the insurers will make stipulations ENTRELY to protect their business from risk.  They are very rarely swayed by your risk assessment or limitations of working practices.  There are two choices (with some grey area in between).  Either comply with their stipulations or work with our own acceptance of risk or implemetation of safety theory and accept you risk not being insured.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion it is rarely worthwhile trying to reason with insurers requirements as both parties are looking at the risk from diffeent standpoints and you probably need them far more than they need you.

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
Kate on 27/11/2020(UTC)
stevie40  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2020 12:01:56(UTC)
stevie40

I work in the UK insurance industry (risk surveying) and the norm that we specify for fire watches is 1 hour. 

Factory Mutual (FM) are well known in the insurance world for over-speccing everything. I recall things like 6 metre snow loadings (to roofs) and using strobe meters to check RPM on sprinkler pump shafts. They literraly throw the best practice manual at the client and expect full compliance. 

You tend to come across FM where the policyholder is an American company or a warehouse storing goods on behalf of an American company. 

If an insurer is insisting on 2 hours or more you may be able to compromise to 1 hour with thermographic camera checks of the work area. Ask your insurance broker to speak to the insurer's Risk Survey dept. 

RISCAuthority also has extensive guidance on hot works in their free document library. RISCAuthority is part of the Fire Protection Association and is funded by a levy on member insurers. 

thanks 1 user thanked stevie40 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 30/11/2020(UTC)