Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SammyK  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2020 20:53:19(UTC)
SammyK

Goof evening all,

This is a strange one so blease bear with me! Previously is someone tested positive for COVID they are to self-isolate for 10 days and the rest of the household are to self-isolate for 14 days.

However, twice today my colleagues who are self-isolating because someone in their household are self-isolating have sent NHS test and trace notification emails informing them they have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID (presumably their household member) but the date that they are able to stop self-isolating is less than what is stated on the GOV and NHS websites. (around the 4-7 day mark). The gov and NHS website says it's next due for review on the 4/12/20 and therefore still says the 14 day guidance. As does the NHS COVID positive results notification.

Does anyone know whether the rules have/are changing to a lesser time, and NHS T&T are implementing this before official notice?

I hope this makes sense and I havent gone off on one too much! As always, thanks in advance for your help!

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2020 21:27:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

There have been rumours regarding a shorter period but at present the NHS web site sticks with 14 days

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/how-long-to-self-isolate/

as does gov.uk (last update 5th November 2020)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

given how "effective" the app has been to date I would consider this yet another failure with the technology

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2020 21:27:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

There have been rumours regarding a shorter period but at present the NHS web site sticks with 14 days

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/how-long-to-self-isolate/

as does gov.uk (last update 5th November 2020)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

given how "effective" the app has been to date I would consider this yet another failure with the technology

Gerry Knowles  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2020 08:24:01(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

As a business we have taken the decision to work on 14 days self isolation in all cases, so if someone has been in contact they stay at home for 14 days, likewise if someone has been overseas we tell them to stay at home for 14 days.  We took the view that it is better to be safe than sorry.  

We don't know how sucessful it has been as we are yet to have any cases where we need to get any of our staff to self isolate.  Long may it continue. 

Edited by user 03 December 2020 14:00:42(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling error

stevedm  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2020 08:32:39(UTC)
stevedm

never assume...the contact may not be the household member as we have had contacts like that, where the time seems to be shorter than expected...it just depends when P0 has been found and linked to that person...

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2020 08:37:06(UTC)
HSSnail

As steve says its not 14 days from when test and Trace contact you - it's  14 days from when you were in contact with the +ve case. So if it takes then 10 days to track you down you may only have to isolate for 4 days. I dont think they have officialy changed to 10 days isolation as discussed - and now ith the rapid test kits and testing whole towns on mass things may change again.

Kate  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2020 12:57:57(UTC)
Kate

It does sound like they may have been in contact with someone else.  As who it was isn't disclosed, you can't assume you do know who it was.