Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Powerman101  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2020 16:41:20(UTC)
Powerman101

Hi all

I have been drawn into an argument where a principle contractor on a rail project is asking a subcontractor for a construction phase plan and a "Health and Safety Plan" The subcontractor's role is to implement a safe system of work involving a permit system and carrying out energisations from a local substation. The site is a depot and is still under CDM as there are still minor works to be completed. 

Does anyone know what the health and safety plan is? The subby has submitted risk assessment and method statements which are very detailed and also A copy of electrical safety rules that they wish to enforce on site. 

They have been told that if they don't provide the CPP and HSP they will be kicjked off site.

I've never heard of a subcontractor having to submit a CPP before or am I missing something? 

Alan Haynes  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2020 17:12:56(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Have you tried asked the Principal Contractor to set out what he expects to see in the documents?
Powerman101  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2020 18:44:33(UTC)
Powerman101

Alan, The Principle Contractor Health and Safety Manager has just asked the subcontractor to look at their  CPP as a guide. This is where it's confusing as they are saying that the Subcontractor's documents look like work package plans even though they have a detailed risk assessment and standard methodology including emergency procedures, incident planning and scope of works as you would find in any detailed contractor RAMS. 

As I've mentioned above, there are no construction works required. The subcontractor's purpose is to facilitate train testing and control the electrical system.

Alan Haynes  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2020 19:50:21(UTC)
Alan Haynes

2 suggestions:- 1. Rewrite the subbies documents to mirror the PC's paperwork. They might be unable to carry out a review unless s they are spoon fed the info. 2. Contact the IOSH Railway Group for further advice. Good luck.

Edited by user 03 December 2020 19:52:22(UTC)  | Reason: Predictive text is a pain

thanks 1 user thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
Powerman101 on 04/12/2020(UTC)