Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stoo66  
#1 Posted : 21 December 2020 10:52:03(UTC)
stoo66

Our business has installed a number of clear strip curtains as a detterent to pigeons in the building, but in doing so have created some additional risks with vehicles and pedestrians moving through the curtains.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback on this equipment and risk control measures. We are currently trying to ensure plant reverses at low speeds through curtain sounding horn before they proceed. But on one site the curtain access is via a slope so the reverse measure counteracts safe FLT policy of moving up a slope with load in front.

I suspect I will need a suite of controls depending on circumstances on site - and all feedback and advice is appreciated and any other solutions for future application

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2021 09:20:37(UTC)
CptBeaky

Sorry for the late reply. Why ae you making the flt reverse? Are they carrying loads that obstruct their vision? If not, I see no reason for them to reverse up the slope.

Our controls contain

• FLTs must travel slowly through the doors
  • They must sound the horn several times before entering/exiting
  • No pedestrians are to go through the doors (they use fire exits nearby)
  • Hi-vis must be worn

We don't make our flts reverse as there is no reason to.

Kate  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2021 10:44:50(UTC)
Kate

The strips may be clear now.  Expect them to get dirty / dusty in the future with a detrimental effect on visibility.

I also don't understand why you would reverse through them.

JCBushell  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2021 10:54:48(UTC)
JCBushell

We installed these curtains due to the constant damage to speed doors on site.

We use the strips to help contain the heat in the winter months but as mentioned, they often become dirty and FLT's are unable to see through upon approach.

We designed a system where upon approach to the curtains (approx 4-5 metres away), the FLT would pass a sensor which would trigger audible and visual alarms thus alerting pedestrians or other vehicles of the FLT. The alarms last for approx 10 seconds.

The system has been installed for the last 12 months and to date has been effective.

Hope this helps.

thanks 1 user thanked JCBushell for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 04/01/2021(UTC)
firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2021 16:09:59(UTC)
firesafety101

In addition to the other posters why are the curtains allowed to get dirty.  That seems to be your main eissue so just introduce a cleaning regime.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 06 January 2021 22:20:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Strip curtains contact vehicles picking up charge and scratches which attract dust and dirt. Even with a cleaning regime you end up having to swop out strips over time adding to plastic pollution. If you are trying to combat birds have you thought about plastic chain? It creates a barrier but at the same time retains a through visibility not seen with sheet strip.
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 06 January 2021 22:20:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Strip curtains contact vehicles picking up charge and scratches which attract dust and dirt. Even with a cleaning regime you end up having to swop out strips over time adding to plastic pollution. If you are trying to combat birds have you thought about plastic chain? It creates a barrier but at the same time retains a through visibility not seen with sheet strip.
chris42  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2021 09:17:01(UTC)
chris42

Regardless of the clarity of these strips, which as said will get dirty and scratched especially in the middle (you can swop out the centre ones with those on the edge to extend life), you should not have people using the same building access as the vehicles without segregation.

No walking routes or vehicle operation should be directly behind the curtains. Relying on people to sound horns or jumping out of the way the other side of the curtain is an accident waiting to happen IMHO.

Can you put a separate walkway and door in for pedestrians or if wide enough, barrier off one side of the roller shutter door so it goes through the doorway (with a small gap to allow it to close at end of day). Then put a demarcated area inside the door that people and vehicles are not allowed in so the FLT has to stop just inside in this area, but that may depend on if you have more than one vehicle going in and out.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/separating.htm​​​​​​​

Chris

stoo66  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2021 09:22:51(UTC)
stoo66

Many thanks for everyone's responses and suggestions & guidance.

There is some really good information presented here that I can now take away and review.

To answer the questions on revesing of FLT, this was the controls provide by our independent MHE training company and it is around protecting driver from being struck by the strips if they drive through and the strips ride over the highest part of truck (mast) and then fall down. The rounded rear of the truck parts the curtains rather than allows them to ride. This is also part of my fact finding before I propose next steps.

CptBeaky  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2021 09:38:36(UTC)
CptBeaky

Ahh, that makes sense now. I assume this means you forklifts don't have windscreens (quite common). Obviously if you had them, getting struck by the curtains isn't an issue