Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fraser38932  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2021 15:55:28(UTC)
Fraser38932

Following on from the scottish government response to an immediate lock down in scotland from tonight, constructing & manufacturing will be allowed to continue but under 'review'.

I find this a bafflying decision as legally there is nothing to stop anyone from travelling from the south east of the UK to the North West if they work in construction or manufacturing !

There will be employees who are clinically at risk and will not be able to work from home within the construction industry if there are working on site.

I expect anybody who works on construction health and safety to be very busy dealing with investigating Covid 19 cases & dealing with employees who only get SSP so are forced to come into work as they cant afford to be off excabating the situation on site. This is certainly the case with myself last year.

Whats everybody else's thoughts on this ?

Acorns  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2021 16:12:42(UTC)
Acorns

Are you asking about contruction or manufacturing- quiote simialr but different beasts.  Surely, it a matter of the individual circumstances.  The small family 'bubble' builders on a 1-2 house site is quite different to a major builder with lots of trades rubbing shoulders on a mulit-storey project.  Simply shutting all 'construction' or any other business under a blanket decision is not really good for anyone.  Quite agree about those who are moving from one geographical area to a significantly different one, but that is surely a matter for management to resolve, and perhaps their remit could or should extend beyond the site gates and take a more holistic view of the situation which would then deal with the exampled travel from the NW to the SE etc. ​​​​​​​IMHO, We were and remain in unprecedented circumstances.

thanks 2 users thanked Acorns for this useful post.
Kate on 05/01/2021(UTC), aud on 12/01/2021(UTC)
MrBrightside  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2021 16:19:22(UTC)
MrBrightside

Originally Posted by: Fraser38932 Go to Quoted Post
busy dealing with investigating Covid 19 cases

What would anyone investigate? 

thanks 1 user thanked MrBrightside for this useful post.
aud on 12/01/2021(UTC)
Fraser38932  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2021 16:23:34(UTC)
Fraser38932

Originally Posted by: AcornsConsult Go to Quoted Post

Are you asking about contruction or manufacturing- quiote simialr but different beasts.  Surely, it a matter of the individual circumstances.  The small family 'bubble' builders on a 1-2 house site is quite different to a major builder with lots of trades rubbing shoulders on a mulit-storey project.  Simply shutting all 'construction' or any other business under a blanket decision is not really good for anyone.  Quite agree about those who are moving from one geographical area to a significantly different one, but that is surely a matter for management to resolve, and perhaps their remit could or should extend beyond the site gates and take a more holistic view of the situation which would then deal with the exampled travel from the NW to the SE etc. ​​​​​​​IMHO, We were and remain in unprecedented circumstances.

Both !

I work in large construction projects and seeing constantly S/Cs arriving on site from england with no checks in place & always an argument on site if someone's temperture is high.

If construction is closed down then people dont need to travel to site wherever they are based in the UK ! Also if you are contacted by Test & Protect and need to self isolate this dosent happen due to loss of earnings as most times Statutory Sick Pay is offered, thus forcing people to work & being exposed.

There will be problems with this going forward in my experience over next 4 months before construction workers get dosed.

Fraser38932  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2021 16:27:06(UTC)
Fraser38932

Originally Posted by: MrBrightside Go to Quoted Post

busy dealing with investigating Covid 19 cases

What would anyone investigate? 

Often  a joint investigation with the contractors health & safety team & site or senior management. 

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2021 16:43:47(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Yes, Mr Brightside’s point was interesting; what would you investigate as a H&S professional in the construction industry. How would you assess that covid 19 cases were work related in that they were being passed within the workplace as opposed to being picked out shopping, on the bus or kids going to school? Note that 70 to 80% of covid 19  cases seem to be asymptomatic.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
aud on 12/01/2021(UTC)
Acorns  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2021 18:51:48(UTC)
Acorns

curious rather than confronting, are you saying local subsides get tested but crossing a border stubby isn't, or do none get tested?  the issue of a worker choosing to work rather than take SSP has been a factor long before the pandemic.  I would say it's a management issue, but managers are as likely to work rather than SSP, probably more so!

so the billion dollar question.   If Scotland did decide to close construction sites.  Would there be any exemptions and/ or, how long would they remain shut.     Perhaps over simplifying it, but the atypical construction site worker is unlikely to be high on the vaccination list, at least on the next few months.  Could they stay closed that long.   

oops realise I edited the quote for Fraser

Edited by user 04 January 2021 18:53:04(UTC)  | Reason: Comment

Fraser38932  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2021 19:11:15(UTC)
Fraser38932

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Yes, Mr Brightside’s point was interesting; what would you investigate as a H&S professional in the construction industry. How would you assess that covid 19 cases were work related in that they were being passed within the workplace as opposed to being picked out shopping, on the bus or kids going to school? Note that 70 to 80% of covid 19  cases seem to be asymptomatic.

As part of my job I have been heavily involved in this for the organisation that I work for over last year. Part of what I do is to ensure that the Main Contractors has Covid 19 precaustions are in place & when ever the organisation that I work for is the main contractor. This worked ok for the less transmissble strain of the virus last year, but what with this new strain, there should have been a full lock down including construction as you will have a period where scores of people are off then returning to sites from today onwards.

Members of staff who are asymptomatic are then liable in spreading the new starin of the virus to site potentially forcing a site shut down & loss of revenue. So the decsion to continue is stupid in my opinion without people being immunised.

Receipe for disaster in the making !

Fraser38932  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2021 19:18:14(UTC)
Fraser38932

curious rather than confronting, are you saying local subsides get tested but crossing a border stubby isn't, or do none get tested?  the issue of a worker choosing to work rather than take SSP has been a factor long before the pandemic.  I would say it's a management issue, but managers are as likely to work rather than SSP, probably more so!

so the billion dollar question.   If Scotland did decide to close construction sites.  Would there be any exemptions and/ or, how long would they remain shut.     Perhaps over simplifying it, but the atypical construction site worker is unlikely to be high on the vaccination list, at least on the next few months.  Could they stay closed that long.   

oops realise I edited the quote for Fraser

There should be a UK Construction Industry lockdown to avoid the issues surrounding this new strain that is coming. Simple. I have seen countless people on sites have been very grateful to be on furlough whilst the authorities deal with the pandemic last year - keeping them away from danger of mixing with strangers on site not knowing if they are asymptomatic or not & bringing the virus home to loved ones.
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2021 20:41:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

If your cure to Covid is to decimate the economy then bring it on - but you are wrong.

Let's be very clear there is only so much a government can borrow to spend on business support - perhaps overdue time to re-allocate the billions being directed in to constructing a saving of 20 minutes on a London to Birmingham train journey.

Even with everyone "jabbed" someone has to be the first "back at work".

Does anyone know the dormancy period of Covid-19? Seem to recall Guinard Island being "off-limits" for several decades post Anthrax testing in 1942 - would you suggest we all stay isolated at home for 50+ years?

Just to temper such comments construction is vital to maintaining the services and infastructure our society relies upon - water, power, effluent, roads, hospitals. Locally we have projects seeking to control devastating floods with the ability to displace families and impact home life (2016 we lost our internet connection for over a month thanks to the floods along with eighty families made homeless).

Even when you consider real "key workers" such as power plant staff there are many aspects of generation the system has driven to being outsourced relying upon travelling trades - ever thought why the national governments have not fully banned "work related travel" - perhaps a less simplistic view of life?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 05/01/2021(UTC), Kate on 05/01/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 04 January 2021 20:41:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

If your cure to Covid is to decimate the economy then bring it on - but you are wrong.

Let's be very clear there is only so much a government can borrow to spend on business support - perhaps overdue time to re-allocate the billions being directed in to constructing a saving of 20 minutes on a London to Birmingham train journey.

Does anyone know the dormancy period of Covid-19? Seem to recall Guinard Island being "off-limits" for several decades post Anthrax testing in 1942 - would you suggest we all stay isolated at home for 50+ years?

Just to temper such comments construction is vital to maintaining the services and infastructure our society relies upon - water, power, effluent, roads, hospitals. Locally we have projects seeking to control devastating floods with the ability to displace families and impact home life (2016 we lost our internet connection for over a month thanks to the floods along with eighty families made homeless).

Even when you consider real "key workers" such as power plant staff there are many aspects of generation the system has driven to being outsourced relying upon travelling trades - ever thought why the national governments have not fully banned "work related travel" - perhaps a less simplistic view of life?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 05/01/2021(UTC), Kate on 05/01/2021(UTC)
Fraser38932  
#12 Posted : 04 January 2021 21:01:58(UTC)
Fraser38932

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

If thats the case then why has the PM stated to the nation that there is a lockdown just minutes ago ?

To me sooner everybody gets vaccinated then the better & if that means a lockdown for the construction industry over a short time so that people are ALIVE when they are working on site then that is the way forward. You cant come to site if you are ill with Covid 19 & the paranoia that creates on site when somebody falls ill with Covid is untangible in my opinion.

achrn  
#13 Posted : 04 January 2021 22:05:28(UTC)
achrn

If thats the case then why has the PM stated to the nation that there is a lockdown just minutes ago ?

He didn't.  The new measures still include going to work if you can't work from home -so for construction, water suppy workers, power stations workers, hospitals, etc. (pretty much everything that Roundtuit mentioned), this 'lockdown' means still going to work.

Long term mass unemployment shortens lives too.

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
aud on 12/01/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 04 January 2021 22:32:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

It wasn't my MP that conducted a 700 mile "round trip" to Westminister suffering Covid last September.

It is the "entitled" who perceive their celebrity, money or presumed societal status protects them from an indiscriminate virus who truly place the ordinary members of society at risk - wasn't it South Africa a recently branded "Covidiot" and ex-Sky presenter returned from?

Unfotunately the words of Gilbert & Sullivan "Let the punishment fit the crime" fall upon deaf ears when it is the FM observed breaching Holyrood regulations.

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 04 January 2021 22:32:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

It wasn't my MP that conducted a 700 mile "round trip" to Westminister suffering Covid last September.

It is the "entitled" who perceive their celebrity, money or presumed societal status protects them from an indiscriminate virus who truly place the ordinary members of society at risk - wasn't it South Africa a recently branded "Covidiot" and ex-Sky presenter returned from?

Unfotunately the words of Gilbert & Sullivan "Let the punishment fit the crime" fall upon deaf ears when it is the FM observed breaching Holyrood regulations.

stevedm  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2021 07:29:06(UTC)
stevedm

Fraser...one major problem that companies have at the moment is that they won't actually address the elephant in the room...they don't know thier employees health or SARS-Cov-2 vulnerability...and along with the government support some are actually claiming furlough for staff and still expecting work....I have dealt with 12 cases in Manufacturing & construction that have in the main involved that exact statement 'I need to work' and in my investigations I have found that most construction companies instead of managing it they just refuse even suspected cases so it sends it underground...it took us a long time to get OH into construction and this is taking all of that good work away when actually it is this that can educate and manage the risk for the individual and the company at work and at home...most risk assessments also do not cover regional variances and even take a good stab at that risk...and don't get me started on the statement 'we have worked through it all the time with no problem..' 

CptBeaky  
#17 Posted : 05 January 2021 09:41:32(UTC)
CptBeaky

I work for a manufacturing company, supplying the construvtion industry. The company I work for is not particularly large (around 80 employees) and therefore we have to multi skill. Some where along the line some HR has filtered into my role.

My biggest gripe is we are told to go to work, but then told we are not "key" workers. This means that our employees cannot send their children to school, and yet can't work from home to look after them. If we are to work, we must be classed as "key" workers. Maybe one day people will stand outside and clap for all those that are keeping the country running, and not only those in "respectable" jobs.

thanks 3 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 05/01/2021(UTC), Roundtuit on 05/01/2021(UTC), Fraser38932 on 05/01/2021(UTC)
WatsonD  
#18 Posted : 05 January 2021 11:04:30(UTC)
WatsonD

To go back to th OP 'nothing to stop anyone from travelling from the south east of the UK to the North West if they work in construction or manufacturing.'

The cost?

Even if the hotels were open, this is and additional cost which would go on the price of the project making it uncompetitive to price against local for this work. At present it would be a daily commute which is cost and time. This is a highly unlikely scenario.

Fraser38932  
#19 Posted : 05 January 2021 19:57:38(UTC)
Fraser38932

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

He didn't.  The new measures still include going to work if you can't work from home -so for construction, water suppy workers, power stations workers, hospitals, etc. (pretty much everything that Roundtuit mentioned), this 'lockdown' means still going to work.

So does contracting covid 19 to !

If this county wants to stop the pandemic then full lockdown required otherwise you will get 60,000 plus cases from now until they are forced to stop everything with resulting hospital admissions and deaths accrordingly.

Fraser38932  
#20 Posted : 05 January 2021 20:01:13(UTC)
Fraser38932

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

To go back to th OP 'nothing to stop anyone from travelling from the south east of the UK to the North West if they work in construction or manufacturing.'

The cost?

Even if the hotels were open, this is and additional cost which would go on the price of the project making it uncompetitive to price against local for this work. At present it would be a daily commute which is cost and time. This is a highly unlikely scenario.

I havent found this scenario in the years I have been in construction to be honest with you - I have came accross SubContractors from North West England working in sites in scotland where the infection figures where huge & importing virus risk to site.

Fraser38932  
#21 Posted : 05 January 2021 20:05:18(UTC)
Fraser38932

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post

Fraser...one major problem that companies have at the moment is that they won't actually address the elephant in the room...they don't know thier employees health or SARS-Cov-2 vulnerability...and along with the government support some are actually claiming furlough for staff and still expecting work....I have dealt with 12 cases in Manufacturing & construction that have in the main involved that exact statement 'I need to work' and in my investigations I have found that most construction companies instead of managing it they just refuse even suspected cases so it sends it underground...it took us a long time to get OH into construction and this is taking all of that good work away when actually it is this that can educate and manage the risk for the individual and the company at work and at home...most risk assessments also do not cover regional variances and even take a good stab at that risk...and don't get me started on the statement 'we have worked through it all the time with no problem..' 

I have seen that scenario also - diffulty is what I call the ripple effect at a site level when site staff are off with Covid and no one is available to take over the reins ! Absolute shambles.

Fraser38932  
#22 Posted : 05 January 2021 20:09:34(UTC)
Fraser38932

Not mine either - No need to use polytecs  as in that scenario as that MP broke the law as it 'wasnt essential travel'.

John Murray  
#23 Posted : 06 January 2021 07:39:44(UTC)
John Murray

This lockdown will be the same as the last: A waste of time.

As long as necessary to suppress immediate transmission, whilst as short as necessary to protect the economy.

Obviously there will be a conflict. That's one of the problems in trying to appear in control and [appear to want to] prevent infections, while not really wanting to prevent infections.

Level 1 vaccinations have started, and apparently the timetable for level 4 start (me) is around mid-February.

There will inevitably be cases where construction workers spread the virus. As long as they are under 40[ish] and keep away from anyone who is of more advanced years.....they won't though. Pretty much like a large cohort of younger persons who will still congregate in large numbers in several retail estate carparks in town, like last lockdown. No action is noted from those tasked with policing the lockdown, who must note the activity as they collect their free McD coffees.

The irony is, that while exercising their right to risk their own lives, they are actually risking others  lives more. Those of more advanced years presenting at hospital with covid-19 will be very lucky to be admitted to ICU, they are more likely to be admitted to non-ICU palliative care; such is the current state of the ongoing infection that soon even those relatively young may be triaged away from ICU and high-dependency treatment. The mortuary at the local NHS facility is full, but there is a rented refridgerated trailer onsite....

Still, the new strains emerging are "favouring" the young much more. Maybe as their friends disappear into a long wooden box  they will be more cautious? Apparently, such is the progress of the disease that "long wooden boxes" are in short supply and more are being imported (well, they're in the import queue).

You only have one life: There is no sequel. May your God be with you.

John Murray  
#24 Posted : 06 January 2021 07:46:03(UTC)
John Murray

137 cases at the local hospital. 27 in ICU. On average around 20% will die. Still, as treatment is refined, the death rate falls.

According to the intertwaddlenet this pandemic is a hoax.

HSSnail  
#25 Posted : 06 January 2021 08:53:55(UTC)
HSSnail

Fraser – Unfortunately, a lockdown will not end a pandemic.  As we have seen here in the UK and worldwide, it merely reduces the transmission so the health services can cope. Once the lockdown is eased, numbers sadly start to go up again. This will continue to happen until the vulnerable are immunised, and the less vulnerable develop some immunity by contracting and surviving the infection. If you look at the current vaccination programme, there is no plan to vaccinate anyone under 50 unless in one of the other risk groups.

If we were to lockdown everyone to the extent you seem to be suggesting, it would take years for the virus to go away – if it ever did! By which time many of us would die from poor sanitation, hyperthermia, etc, when services failed, lack of food (under your argument, why should supermarkets be open if construction sites can close?).

Unfortunately, as we Health and Safety professionals keep saying – the world is not without risk – all we can do is try to manage it sensibly.

Could we have managed Covid better? Probably. Have mistakes been made? Almost certainly. Will more people die? Undoubtedly. Do I have a better solution? Absolutely not! We just need to keep doing our best to maintain social distancing, hygiene etc.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Sharpe23621 on 06/01/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 06/01/2021(UTC)
Acorns  
#26 Posted : 06 January 2021 09:29:14(UTC)
Acorns

To go 

The cost?

I thought hotels were still open!  I had to stay in a prem inn just before Xmas.  They were mind numbingly brilliant at managing hygiene SD etc.  Think I'm safer in a hotel than popping into a hospital in terms on contracting the virus.  
thanks 1 user thanked Acorns for this useful post.
aud on 12/01/2021(UTC)
HSSnail  
#27 Posted : 06 January 2021 09:58:21(UTC)
HSSnail

I thought hotels were still open!  I had to stay in a prem inn just before Xmas.  They were mind numbingly brilliant at managing hygiene SD etc.  Think I'm safer in a hotel than popping into a hospital in terms on contracting the virus.  

Without double checking the regs i think you are right - they can offer accomodation to people who are working - just not holidaymakers.

achrn  
#28 Posted : 06 January 2021 13:57:57(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

So does contracting covid 19 to !

That was the point.  That's why I said "too" - meaning that it's not just covid 19 we need to worry about. 

It's all very well claiming that we need a lockdown (or various degrees of severity) to control Covid, but that medicine could very well be worse than the disease, over a much longer period (potentially measured in generations - if you make someone unemployable before they even leave school, you've blighted not just them, but their children and potentially further).

firesafety101  
#29 Posted : 06 January 2021 15:13:37(UTC)
firesafety101

Just because the government is allowing construction works to continue, it does not mean all construction works shall continue.

Small jobs like kitchen refits, small home extensions are easy to manage but the larger works are not so easy.

Larger projets have better control in accordance with CDM and notification to HSE.  I believe a responsible Principal Designer would assess all their current projects in consultation with their Clients and Principal Contractor/s to ensure safety of everyone with specific regard to Covid and its variants.

A Client I work for has a new project to start in 2 weeks time but has told me not to work on the Construction Phase Plan until further notice as he has decided not to start due to the risk on site.

Every site will be different and I have agreed he made the correct decision for this particular project.

I wonder if the HSE could play a part here by reviewing the notified projects they already have to see if any are hazardous with Covid in mind.