Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TerriCox  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2021 12:46:08(UTC)
TerriCox

We have works due to start on a site in France and we require to translate our RAMs into French (not my skill set - my French is not the best). We have also been advised  we must do a PPSPS, from what I can see this is a bit of a cross between the RAMs and a Construction Phase Plan. Could anyone please advise if they know anyone who could do our translations for us and also if they have had exeperience of any PPSPS plans? Many thanks

Acorns  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2021 15:23:07(UTC)
Acorns

If you have little success here, I am sure you have already started to expore other sources,  that may be in the same or similar industries or have prev experiences where they can help. If these are regarded as official french language documents then I might consider paying a professional translation service, perahps even a french one to ensure rhat you cover the nuances that could otherwise be lost in straight forward translation and then have a huge impact when examined by the authorities.  

MikeKelly  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2021 15:26:56(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi Terri

I'd be inclined to get the person who agreed the contract from your side to fix this and build an appropriately qualified French professional in.

The French, as no doubt you know, are wedded to large amounts of paper and bureaucracy. But, if you try to do the job properly they will give you a break and help you.

The requirement is as you may have found out for a Specific health and safety plan and via google you can see the main components which are not too difficult to write up as they are similar to the UK-based on the same laws, in general, of course.

In my dealings with the authorities, as I live in France, retired, so never really got involved in working, I have to say I rely a lot on French govt websites [some can be translated to English] and Google Translate which will translate text pretty well. You write your plan in English--whizz it through Google translate and bobs your uncle-bob est ton oncle!! Both ways -French to English, English to French.    

Every company here should have an annual document addressing all its risks and how they deal with them so that might be useful depending on the job to be done.

It's an awful lot of faffing around in a foreign language which should have been sorted by your sales/contract people. I recollect many times how the engineers/builders had to accomodate the sales peoples' cock ups-did they get the sales bonuses!!

I'm sorry I can't help more but you had so few respondents [other than acorns]and my laughable solution is a lot of unnecessary work.

Try the French Embassy you never know -although given Brexit .........!

Also IOSH may know of people who can help -eg French speakers like David Gold, one of our VP's or Malc Staves, head honcho at L'Oreal, Paris both of whom I have worked with in the past. 

Regards

Mike