Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stephen Hill  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2021 10:22:31(UTC)
Stephen Hill

Hello All, 

I have just taken a position at a company as a SHEQ Advisor and have being thinking as my new employer is mainly construction based that I would (if possible) upgrade (somehow) my General certificate to something more construction based. Can anyone offer some advice on this? would I have to resit NEBOSH? what are my options?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2021 14:02:01(UTC)
peter gotch

Stephen

If you did your NEBOSH General within the last 5 years, then you could do the NEBOSH Construction Certificate without repeatig some of what you learned on the NGC and thereby "upgrade".

See National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety - NEBOSH

Stephen Hill  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2021 16:14:13(UTC)
Stephen Hill

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Stephen

If you did your NEBOSH General within the last 5 years, then you could do the NEBOSH Construction Certificate without repeatig some of what you learned on the NGC and thereby "upgrade".

Thanks Peter,  I took my NEBOSH General back in 2014, is there another option? :-)

Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2021 09:54:26(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: Stephen Hill Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Stephen

Thanks Peter,  I took my NEBOSH General back in 2014, is there another option? :-)

[/quote

I went through this same thought process a few years ago. Seems like there is no option to just sit the construction test. 

Not sure if there is a specific construction course from other learning streams? NCRQ? Is that specific or a general qualification

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2021 11:38:24(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Mark - NCRQ is for anyone. One of my former colleagues who is steeped in construction is doing the NCRQ. Has taken him out of his comfort zone. In contrast, he might have done a VQ and used construction experience to develop a portfolio, but again not a construction specific qualification.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Mark-W on 18/01/2021(UTC)