Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
adriankennedy-jones  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2021 12:20:11(UTC)
adriankennedy-jones

Hi All

I work for a commercial property landlord with common areas in our buildings, we curently have a paper based permit system for the higher risk jobs with a one permit fits all approach. I am reviewing the process and am thinking about splitting permits into 'cold works' and 'hot works' with a set of more specific prerequisite questions on the hot works permit (e.g. extinguishers, fire watch etc.).

However, our FM team are keen on a more specific approach, with different permits per risk, asbestos, working at height, confined spaces, electrical etc. My feeling is that some jobs would require multiple permits which would be time intensive, repetitive and result in some contrators carrying out a tick box methodology once they got past the first couple of permits. I'm keen to have FM buy in as they generally are the ones approving the permits but I don't want to design an overly complicated process that isn't used because it's cumbersome or becomes a tickbox exercise.

What do you guys think, thanks in adavance?

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2021 18:53:55(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Adrian

Agreed that one size fits all would probably result in tick boxing. Ditto if there is a need for multiple permits on a repeated basis, so you would probably benefit from more than one template but not too many.

Have you considered sitting down with FM and reviewing the last 100 works that would be considered appropriate for one or more permits.

That could give you a better idea as to what is likely to work. Might be that asbestos is only a problem once in a blue moon; alternatively that it is an issue almost all the time.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
adriankennedy-jones on 18/01/2021(UTC)
adriankennedy-jones  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2021 12:44:01(UTC)
adriankennedy-jones

Thanks Peter, that's a good idea thank you.