Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
benek84  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2021 18:54:21(UTC)
benek84

Hi Everyone. Can you please advise what is required to provide health and safety advice, consultancy services if I work for a company as EHS Manager. This consultancy service would be in addition to my normal job. Do I need indemnity insurance, register as self employed, accountant,?? Thank you
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2021 20:23:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

Employers permission for what could become a major distraction from your paid employment. Most employment contracts specifically restrict activity on behalf of others including yourself.
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2021 20:23:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

Employers permission for what could become a major distraction from your paid employment. Most employment contracts specifically restrict activity on behalf of others including yourself.
Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2021 12:53:14(UTC)
Mark-W

I agree with roundtuit, are you part time or full time? If part time will your client base put you in a conflict of interest with your main employer? What are you going to do when your client rings up with an emergency that needs dealing with immediatley on the phone or a site visit when you are your main work.

I explain to all my clients they have access to me 24/7 if needed but then so do all my other clients, so I may need to take the odd call. This works for me and my clients currently. Thats not to say that it will always be so amicable.

Zyggy  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2021 16:26:01(UTC)
Zyggy

Apart from the previous excellent responses, you would need Professional Indemnity & Public Liability Insurances + registering as a sole trader or establishing yourself as a Limited Company - your choice. In addition, & depending on your client base, you may also have to go through a DBS check, enhanced in some circumstances.