Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Centurion  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2021 15:48:39(UTC)
Centurion

As would-be H&S Advisors surely want to achieve Chartered IOSH status asap, is the NEBOSH General Certificate (NGC) now a thing of the past for them?

The NGC costs a lot and requires a lot of time and effort to do.

It is far from easy to do and the introduction of the New Open Book Examination still maintains its very high standard of completion.

Why spend a lot of time and effort on something when you can by-pass it by achieving a similarly recognised qualification?

That qualification is the NCRQ Certificate which involves only online tuition and a number of assignments to complete.

It counts towards the NCRQ Diploma which is then acceptable for Grad IOSH membership.

Edited by user 23 January 2021 16:16:44(UTC)  | Reason: Subject adjustment

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2021 17:42:16(UTC)
peter gotch

For perhaps largely historic reasons, NEBOSH qualifications still seem to be quite popular but provide just one route to gain the academic qualifications for advancement up the IOSH ladder.

MrBrightside  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2021 09:49:57(UTC)
MrBrightside

NEBOSH is very quickly becoming obsolete, which even they finally recognised and changed their style of exam and content.

The problem was that they were pretty much the only route to CMIOSH (again something which is not so much the must have it once used to be), but since the NVQ and NCRQ came along they become the preferred option for those that had the skills and knowledge but were just not good at or baulked at the thought of exams.

Having done NEBOSH and NCRQ I would recommend the NCRQ route to anyone and in fact would even go as far as to rate it higher than the NEBOSH for the simple fact that the NCRQ uses real life situations that you have to apply safety knowledge to, much like a Safety Manager would in the real world rather than how much can you remember and make sure you know the difference between describe and explain (I think NEBOSH even dropped those now!).

Its personal preference and they both give you the same result if you want CMIOSH and I think its great that people now have that choice.

thanks 1 user thanked MrBrightside for this useful post.
Centurion on 25/01/2021(UTC)
chris42  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2021 10:52:55(UTC)
chris42

No, I don’t think NEBOSH is obsolete and everything evolves.

Some people have problems with exams and so prefer the NCRQ route, other people are ok with examinations as a way of showing knowledge and liked the achievement of passing. I know I did. It does sometimes feel that those that have gone the NCRQ route are asked at the end to promote it as superior than NEBOSH. I’m almost sure this is not the case, but does feel like it occasionally, as the desire to come on here and big it up. I worked dam hard to pass the Cert and Diploma, so do take a bit of an offence at it being dissed.

Interestingly In one of my exams, I remember being asked how I would advise a council regarding needle stick injuries; how much more “real-world” H&S professional question do people want than that. The “key” words were just there to help you. Ie if they asked for a list, they just wanted a simple list not war and piece on each item, so you would not have to waste your time doing so just a simple answer required.

Each to their own and live and let live, gush about NCRQ as much as you want, but no need to put down all of us that have got NEBOSH Qualifications.

Chris

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2021 11:26:36(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I think that people are mixing up NCRQ with NVQ. In NVQ type qualifications you create a portfolio of evidence demonstrating that you are carrying out a particular job to a certain standard. The evidence is mainly derived from what you do during your normal job. NCRQ is assessment based but these assessment are intended to demonstrate that you have completed and learned certain training activities. So, they are more like exams than what NVQ does but unlike NEBOSH which has a  traditional emphasis on learning and regurgitating  “facts” , in NCRQ  you are presented with scenarios and cases studies and you have to demonstrate how you apply your training to those situations.   

Centurion  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2021 12:51:22(UTC)
Centurion

MrBrightside

NEBOSH have issued the NGC Learner Guide V2 which is a pamphlet giving a brief overview and a small listed syllabus.

It doesn’t mention anything about cancelling the Command Words, so do we have to assume that they could still prevail along with the November 2014 Guide to the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Version: 4 Syllabus?

Edited by user 25 January 2021 14:01:52(UTC)  | Reason: MrBrightside

craigroberts76  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2021 14:56:27(UTC)
craigroberts76

I found NEBOSH very in depth, but also a test of how much info you can remember for the exam.  In my real world job I have access to books, google, charts etc.  There needs to remain a solid foundation on risk, but more real world.  The NGC3 template is shocking, and yet supposed to use it

thanks 1 user thanked craigroberts76 for this useful post.
Centurion on 26/01/2021(UTC)