Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jill T  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2021 17:37:25(UTC)
Jill T

We are finding that our Mental Health First Aiders don’t get many requests for support because staff don’t wont to be seen to take time away from the phones for mental health support.  There is a stigma for requesting a break from calls for this reason.  Do any other organisations find this issue?  If so, have you found a way to address this?

Wailes900134  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2021 21:22:20(UTC)
Wailes900134

Perhaps a 24hour outsourced Employee Assistance Programme might be better. Even think about implementing the HSE guidance encapsulated in the Stress Management Standards. I worry that the proliferation of MHFA is giving companies a false sense of security toward one of the biggest challenges of our time.
chris42  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2021 08:38:46(UTC)
chris42

I agree with Wailes900134, we used to have an outsourced service where I worked previously. The number could be used 24/7 and was completely anonymous. The company simply gave our company the number of people that used the service.

Yes, when MHFA are mentioned on here I cringe a little, as no matter how you arrange it everyone will know when you go to see “bob in accounts” he is a MHFA, therefore you have issue or if you go into that little office at the end of the corridor. Even if it can be arranged so no one else will see people don’t particularly want people they work with, however professional they are to know their business. I’m sure a few people have been helped with these initiatives, but are probably missing out so many more. I know personally if I had issues, the last person I would want to talk to would be someone where I work. Perhaps my view is coloured by this, but I bet I’m not alone in this. Hence why things like Samaritans or child line etc work.

Chris

achrn  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2021 15:35:52(UTC)
achrn

I think it's horses for courses.  There are some people who wouldn't want to talk to someone at work (I'd put myself in that camp), tehre are people that won't want to talk to someone they don't know on the phone.

We have both an employee assitance phone line run by a third party, and mental health first aiders (basically the same number in each location as physical first aiders).  Both get used - at least, both report they get used, but since the only reporting we get from either is teh number of times they've been called on in a period, maybe they are making it up!

My workplace (before Covid) had people off in meetings on various topics all the time (several 2- and 3-person meeting rooms around the place, numerous 'breakout spaces' with varying degrees of privacy), so I don't think we had a significant problem with people 'putting 2 and 2 together'.

I think mandating that all directors have mental health awareness training was a more useful initiative than having a sprinkling of MHFA people.  Howevere, that's a different topic!