Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttxela  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2021 12:36:01(UTC)
ttxela

I was intrigued by a comment on our caving club forum regarding the recent evictions from the HS2 protest tunnels in Euston. The posters assertion was that H&S would never let those working to evict the protesters enter the tunnels as any risk assessment would conclude it should not be done.

Now I suspect this is in part at least true and efforts would concentrate on negotiation rather than entering the tunnels to physically remove people however I can't find any news reports detailed enough to verify this.

The hazards in doing so would be significant, confined spaces, unsupported or poorly supported excavations, limited information on design and construction - possibly even deliberately misleading information, potential violence etc.

I'd be interested in any comments from people involved in similar work (no, I'm not remotely involved, just interested).

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2021 12:56:02(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi ttxela

Most live railway tunnels are rarely confined spaces due to the ventilation caused by trains running through them. [Depends on length and other variables].

Disused railway tunnels are likely to be confined spaces but with the level of risk dependent on the nature of each tunnel. There was a publicised case of someone being overcome in a former rail tunnel in Staffordshire. The adjacent canal tunnel is live and not treated as a confined space for narrow boat users passing through. Same risk of ground gases, but in one there is natural ventilation.

But for many decades many disused railway tunnels were readily accessible to "urban explorers" (some of whom still manage to bypass the security provisions that have generally been put in place) - very little harm has resulted from any confined spaces risks per se. 

Tunnels under construction will usually be classified as confined spaces but again with levels of risk varying significantly, partly as often mechanical ventilation forms part of the construction process. But the risks will usually be much lower for e.g. a main bore being constructed with a tunnel boring machine (TBM) than for e.g. any cross passage being hand dug, by people much closer to the face.

The potential for collapse also varies depending on method of construction. Where a TBM is in use, those inside are effectively cocooned. In contrast, the cross passages might be temporarily protected with e.g. sprayed concrete ("shotcrete") until the final segments are put in place. 

For historians this latter process is called NATM (New Austrian Tunnelling Method) which was associated with a collapse during Heathrow Express.

I think your corresponent probably exaggerates the risk to those who might attempt to drag any protestors out (other than potential violence).

CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2021 12:59:29(UTC)
CptBeaky

It does make me wonder what would happen if the site was cleared above ground and then they just waited for those below ground to run out of supplies. Would this be seen as a failure to protect the protestors as those below ground were also exposed to the hazards you list, along with malnutrion (should the siege go on long enough) and exposure to human waste.

It does appear the protestors had thought of this, which is why they advertised their tunnels before locking themselves down there.

craigroberts76  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2021 13:35:51(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post

It does make me wonder what would happen if the site was cleared above ground and then they just waited for those below ground to run out of supplies. Would this be seen as a failure to protect the protestors as those below ground were also exposed to the hazards you list, along with malnutrion (should the siege go on long enough) and exposure to human waste.

It does appear the protestors had thought of this, which is why they advertised their tunnels before locking themselves down there.

its a policing issue I suspect, I personally would prefer them to wait to emerge and then arrest them 1 by 1.  Sending the police down there would potentially put them at risk, so wait.... a few days wont harm

ttxela  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2021 13:40:20(UTC)
ttxela

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Hi ttxela

Most live railway tunnels are rarely confined spaces due to the ventilation caused by trains running through them. [Depends on length and other variables].

Disused railway tunnels are likely to be confined spaces but with the level of risk dependent on the nature of each tunnel. There was a publicised case of someone being overcome in a former rail tunnel in Staffordshire. The adjacent canal tunnel is live and not treated as a confined space for narrow boat users passing through. Same risk of ground gases, but in one there is natural ventilation.

But for many decades many disused railway tunnels were readily accessible to "urban explorers" (some of whom still manage to bypass the security provisions that have generally been put in place) - very little harm has resulted from any confined spaces risks per se. 

Tunnels under construction will usually be classified as confined spaces but again with levels of risk varying significantly, partly as often mechanical ventilation forms part of the construction process. But the risks will usually be much lower for e.g. a main bore being constructed with a tunnel boring machine (TBM) than for e.g. any cross passage being hand dug, by people much closer to the face.

The potential for collapse also varies depending on method of construction. Where a TBM is in use, those inside are effectively cocooned. In contrast, the cross passages might be temporarily protected with e.g. sprayed concrete ("shotcrete") until the final segments are put in place. 

For historians this latter process is called NATM (New Austrian Tunnelling Method) which was associated with a collapse during Heathrow Express.

I think your corresponent probably exaggerates the risk to those who might attempt to drag any protestors out (other than potential violence).

Hello Peter

Some misunderstanding perhaps, the protesters aren't in the railway running tunnels but in 'Swampy' style tunnels they have dug themselves.

ttxela  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2021 13:44:25(UTC)
ttxela

Originally Posted by: craigroberts76 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post

its a policing issue I suspect, I personally would prefer them to wait to emerge and then arrest them 1 by 1.  Sending the police down there would potentially put them at risk, so wait.... a few days wont harm

My understanding is that they were evicted by a private security company.

achrn  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2021 14:12:11(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

They aren't railway tunnels - they are protestor-excavated burrows, typically less than 500mm wide and high, without any ventialtion to speak of, and negligible shoring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-55816922

I would expect that they are evicted not by anyone entering the tunnels, but rather by excavating - digging them out.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2021 16:07:38(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Since the tunnels are in danger of collapse, I believe that they should be filled in with a significant amount of concrete asap without them being evacuated. This will ensure that no employees are put at risk.  

peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 28 January 2021 17:08:25(UTC)
peter gotch

Not been keeping up with the right news!!

biker1  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2021 11:46:09(UTC)
biker1

Personally, I applaud the dedication of the protestors. The government has not listened to the conventionally presented arguments about HS2, there is a groundswell of opposition to it, the case for building it was weak to start with and has just weakened as time has gone on. But still the government persists with it. Near where I live, ancient woodlands and habitats have been churned up to make way for this monstrosity of a project.

I thought the age of protest had disappeared in the 1970s, so it is refreshing to see that it is not yet dead. When government won't listen to the will of the people, what choice is left if we are not to raise our voices in protest?