Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chainy79  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2021 17:09:05(UTC)
Chainy79

Hello All.

Just wanted to get a general feeling / opinion on something. 

What should a Health and Safety Officer get paid for a company of around 180 employees. 

Not only responsible for advising a company but also responsible for the implimentation of the management of health and safety.

Directly responsible for reporting to the Managing director. 

I know this would be to company requirements etc. asking for a freind.  It seems the last responsible person didnt do very much in regards to basic health and safety. Training , auditing etc. And the person now is picking up all the peices at very low cost. 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2021 20:28:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

As much as they negotiated when they took on the role (sorry it really is a piece of string question).

Excepting significant shifts in responsibilities or position the salary is set when you join the company - you never catch up having accepted a low offer. Year on year therafter it will decline in real terms as the annual salary increase (when the employer bothers) never truly keeps pace with the "inflation +" rises you suffer in domestic costs - car fuel, energy, utilities, communications, mortgage/rent, council tax, food.....

Broadband & phone companies raising the bar this year with their CPI + 3.9% pricing

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2021 20:28:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

As much as they negotiated when they took on the role (sorry it really is a piece of string question).

Excepting significant shifts in responsibilities or position the salary is set when you join the company - you never catch up having accepted a low offer. Year on year therafter it will decline in real terms as the annual salary increase (when the employer bothers) never truly keeps pace with the "inflation +" rises you suffer in domestic costs - car fuel, energy, utilities, communications, mortgage/rent, council tax, food.....

Broadband & phone companies raising the bar this year with their CPI + 3.9% pricing

biker1  
#4 Posted : 26 February 2021 12:13:35(UTC)
biker1

Not an easy question to answer - too many market and cultural factors. I took a significant drop in pay when I started with my current employer, but then I was made redundant from my previous role, so a new ball game. Despite some promising signs of improvement a while ago, I think that pay levels for people in health and safety, not counting those at director level, have never achieved the level of many other jobs with similar levels of responsibility and knowledge required. Not sure they ever will. If you want to become a millionaire, it's not the field for you. 

O'Donnell54548  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2021 13:16:41(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: Stujitsu Go to Quoted Post

Hello All.

Just wanted to get a general feeling / opinion on something. 

What should a Health and Safety Officer get paid for a company of around 180 employees. 

Not only responsible for advising a company but also responsible for the implimentation of the management of health and safety.

Directly responsible for reporting to the Managing director. 

I know this would be to company requirements etc. asking for a freind.  It seems the last responsible person didnt do very much in regards to basic health and safety. Training , auditing etc. And the person now is picking up all the peices at very low cost. 

Put your details into a job search and then compare what you are being offered with what the market is paying