Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Leadparsons  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2021 10:03:04(UTC)
Leadparsons

I am trying to find a lifting plan for Cable jacks, jacks that pump up cable drums.  To me they do not lift, they push from underneath, so is there a requirement under the regulations for a lifting plan ?

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2021 11:29:00(UTC)
peter gotch

Why not consider a different question?

What happens if the cable jack fails?

Could the scenario have a very damaging outcome? If so how likely is it that this could happen, hence what is the risk and what should you do to prevent it happening or to mitigate the risk by other means?

Whether or not LOLER applies is somewhat immaterial.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
aud on 08/03/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 08/03/2021(UTC)
Leadparsons  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2021 11:51:31(UTC)
Leadparsons

I am being asked to provide a lifting plan, I have a SSoW for the use of the jacks, I have a Risk Assessment, surely this would cover its use ?
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2021 12:02:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

So ask your requestor which legislation and specific article of the regulation requires a lifting plan for cable drum jacks.

Unfortunately there are many people who have a little very dangerous knowledge which they go on to incorrectly apply by seeking the wholly unecessary.

We are long overdue the quiet revolution of saying No to dubious and spurious requests.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2021 12:02:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

So ask your requestor which legislation and specific article of the regulation requires a lifting plan for cable drum jacks.

Unfortunately there are many people who have a little very dangerous knowledge which they go on to incorrectly apply by seeking the wholly unecessary.

We are long overdue the quiet revolution of saying No to dubious and spurious requests.

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2021 14:02:46(UTC)
peter gotch

Leadparsons, to add to Roundtuit's sensible comment....

To the requestor what is the difference between your risk assessment and Safe System of Work, other than the words "Lifting Plan"?

Even if LOLER were to apply, LOLER does NOT say that the "lifting plan" must be entitled "lifting plan".

Leadparsons  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2021 18:58:52(UTC)
Leadparsons

Thanks all, however, I think in this instance what the client wants, the client gets, I have altered a basic lifting plan so that should cover it.
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2021 08:36:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

IMHO two possible outcomes of "doing for doings sake":

1) The client has been testing you, and you have proven your firm unsuitable to work with.

2) You just made the next contracting firms life an absolute misery by affirming the clients non-sensical request.

Even when it is the "client/customer/boss" any request must be reasonable and legitimate.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2021 08:36:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

IMHO two possible outcomes of "doing for doings sake":

1) The client has been testing you, and you have proven your firm unsuitable to work with.

2) You just made the next contracting firms life an absolute misery by affirming the clients non-sensical request.

Even when it is the "client/customer/boss" any request must be reasonable and legitimate.

Leadparsons  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2021 18:18:50(UTC)
Leadparsons

Cheers.