Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andygser  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2021 10:11:42(UTC)
andygser

I have to complete site induction forms for our staff who have to visit various sites to deliver and install equipment. I often go back to the source of the forms to ask why they need so much information on the staff member.

One I have to send in today is asking me to supply Dates of birth, Nationality, next of Kin details and  home addresses. When I ask why, I'm told that everyone just hands over this information and that the form must be completed.

Induction forms are probably compiled by the OHSE teams so I wonder if someone here may know why all this data is important?. Or does anyone else push back and ask why is this being collected? 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2021 10:54:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

"One size fits all" - they are probably using what was designed as their internal document for everyone.

Ask them for a copy of their data handling policy, after all they are asking for your employees personal data.

Unfortunately another example of someone not considering the implications of their actions and the herd metallity permittting continued use. Ask them what specific regulation requires such a document is completed, and would they mind if you complied with your data protection duties by appropriately marking their form "refer to employer" or similar.

Any contractor attending our site provides a signature and date to indicate they have suffered our site induction - we do not ask for contact details, D.o.B., next of kin - in fact what would they do with the next of kin information if there was an accident? You can guarantee they would be quickly back heeling any RIDDOR responsibility so it would be highly unlikely they would be ringing strangers.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
andygser on 22/03/2021(UTC), andygser on 22/03/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2021 10:54:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

"One size fits all" - they are probably using what was designed as their internal document for everyone.

Ask them for a copy of their data handling policy, after all they are asking for your employees personal data.

Unfortunately another example of someone not considering the implications of their actions and the herd metallity permittting continued use. Ask them what specific regulation requires such a document is completed, and would they mind if you complied with your data protection duties by appropriately marking their form "refer to employer" or similar.

Any contractor attending our site provides a signature and date to indicate they have suffered our site induction - we do not ask for contact details, D.o.B., next of kin - in fact what would they do with the next of kin information if there was an accident? You can guarantee they would be quickly back heeling any RIDDOR responsibility so it would be highly unlikely they would be ringing strangers.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
andygser on 22/03/2021(UTC), andygser on 22/03/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2021 11:01:02(UTC)
peter gotch

Andy - rather sounds like some clients who think that it is their right to make up rules with the expectation that you will toe the line or face losing business.

But if you are feeling like pushing back you could ask the client what they are doing to comply with data protection legislation.

If I was a betting person, my odds would be on the client being in breach of such legislation if asking for so many details without very good cause.

Possibly OK at high security sites where they probably do know what to do with the information. Probably not OK at other sites.

So, if you ask the question the client might choose to relax their conditions rather than have to face looking closely at what they are and are NOT allowed to keep in terms of personal data.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
andygser on 22/03/2021(UTC)
Gerry Knowles  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2021 11:59:17(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

I don't know what industry you are working in, however your clients may be worried that they will get a visit from the the Border Force looking for people who are not entitled to work in the UK.  We have been asked for the information in the past, but have offerd and had accepted copies of the "Home Office Right to Work" form. 

jonesRebecca  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2021 07:03:33(UTC)
jonesRebecca

Ahh that is great thank you ! Good for  special needs too ! fall guys

chris42  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2021 09:52:24(UTC)
chris42

Reported because hidden advertising link just after the exclamation mark.

They must know they are do wrong or why hide it.

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 03/04/2021(UTC), Roundtuit on 03/04/2021(UTC)