Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gerry Knowles  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2021 11:54:07(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

We have a new requirement for our drivers to pick up plant and equipment that has been used either on a site where sewage is processed or where a repair has been undertaken on a pipe where sewage is present.  The drivers have to load and secure the plant and then off load it at our depot where it is isolated and cleaned. 

I am looking for advice on what PPE might be required for our drivers.  I was thinking that a disposable oversuit worn in conjuction with wellingtons, gloves and a mask.  Any further suggestions would be welcomed. 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2021 13:34:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is that really fair on the general public to be openly transporting sewage along the highway?

Instead of PPE why not eliminate the hazard at the point of contamination and before loading?

When I have trialled effluent treatment equipment or hired in stand-by systems it was always in the contract the equipment was to be rinsed and drained before collection.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 06/04/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 06/04/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2021 13:34:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is that really fair on the general public to be openly transporting sewage along the highway?

Instead of PPE why not eliminate the hazard at the point of contamination and before loading?

When I have trialled effluent treatment equipment or hired in stand-by systems it was always in the contract the equipment was to be rinsed and drained before collection.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 06/04/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 06/04/2021(UTC)