Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mtaylor  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2021 17:39:21(UTC)
mtaylor

If you have studied, or if you are delivering the IOSH Leading Safely course would you consider it a suitable level of training for the owner of a small contractor company to allow them to operate as their own competent advisor or would you recommend the IOSH Managikng Safely course

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2021 17:56:39(UTC)
peter gotch

MT - not sure that I would recommend either and I am equally not sure that either would allow them to be their own "competent person".

I would want to get an understanding of their business and their understanding of its risks and how to manage them, in order to come to an opinion on what, if any, training needs they had.

If they are running their business well, then it is quite likely that they manage all aspects of their business and deal with health and safety as an integral part of their role as the boss. So, possibly their training needs might be about more specific aspects of the risks.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Alabaster on 10/04/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2021 20:49:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

We use the courses mentioned to enable the managers to understand what the competent person is telling them, not to make them competent persons.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2021 20:49:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

We use the courses mentioned to enable the managers to understand what the competent person is telling them, not to make them competent persons.

Alabaster  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2021 08:42:00(UTC)
Alabaster

As Peter has stated, a review of the business's risk profile is crucial to determine the level of competency required. 

The HSe explicitly state"Competence can be described as the combination of training, skills, experience, and knowledge that a person has and their ability to apply them to perform a task safely"

Training is only one piece of the puzzle and should not be viewed as the only avenue to determine competence 

There are some really really incompetent people out there that hold a wealth of qualifications.... and there are some excellent people out there that hold very little. 

It's really important to just be self-aware and ask the question - am I / are you competent (gut feeling will help!) 

Alan Haynes  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2021 09:29:03(UTC)
Alan Haynes

My favourite statement on Competency. ............ "A competent person is a person who knows when she/he isn't. "

Edited by user 10 April 2021 09:30:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2021 09:28:27(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I think this has come up on the forum before. The general  consensus was then that as a minimum a competent person needed a Nat cert level qualification, mainly because that ensured a breadth of understanding of how occupational H&S should be applied in a particular workplace. As people have said you need to know what your limits are   and when you need to call in additional help. I am not sure that managing or leading safely do that.