Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Samantha Cook  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2021 12:30:02(UTC)
Samantha Cook

Hi All. We have engaged with a company who is providing support for our legal registers for H&S and Env. We have a couple of topics which we have to show evidence to show they have been considered. One is electro magnetic fields in the workplace. The report states no EMF assessment has been carried out.

We are a logistics centre without automation,who distribute clothing, with the normal equipment you would find, printers, electrical wiring and distrbution boards and other warehouse electrical stuff, mobile phones, radio systems etc.

Can anyone help me with a template maybe to complete a basis assessment. HR havent considered this before even for those with heart monitors etc, IT i doubt have anything either.  This is a tough subject to research, as i have been going through the HSE web pages!

Any help would be wonderful!

thanks in advance

Sam Cook

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2021 13:17:28(UTC)
HSSnail

Im sure you have found this document?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg281.pdf

look at table 2 on page 9 which states

Sources of EMF at levels below the ELVs and which will not exceed the indirect-effect ALs (for more information see ‘Action levels’)

If all your equipment falls into those categories its a simple one liner in a risk assessment - anyting outside those can be tricky. I had a microwave transmitter our IT department had installed. Turned out to be very low wattage and hence low risk but i had a hell of a job getting the details.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Samantha Cook on 15/04/2021(UTC), aud on 26/04/2021(UTC)
Samantha Cook  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2021 13:33:26(UTC)
Samantha Cook

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post

Im sure you have found this document?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg281.pdf

look at table 2 on page 9 which states

Sources of EMF at levels below the ELVs and which will not exceed the indirect-effect ALs (for more information see ‘Action levels’)

If all your equipment falls into those categories its a simple one liner in a risk assessment - anyting outside those can be tricky. I had a microwave transmitter our IT department had installed. Turned out to be very low wattage and hence low risk but i had a hell of a job getting the details.

Thank you Brian for this, most helpful :)